Existing Member?

Pilgrims

Una dia

COSTA RICA | Saturday, 25 August 2007 | Views [913] | Comments [2]

Howdy those of you who still read on!! Hard to beleive five months has passed since we left lovely sydney - can someone let me know if winter is over yet?

Have included some pictures in this entry of various artworks Gabriel and I have been doing. He´s still interested in robots and I am having a snake thing ....yes Dr Freud we know. Will be handing in my final assessment for the semester next week and hopefully be able to relax a bit before next term, am still enjoying my studies, but finding online study all a bit distant and a little too easy to fudge my efforts. Still getting through the work is satisfying. Thinking that I might try to buy a big bus and drive around somewhere offering mobile therapy? Whereever I lay my hat sort of thing...

Life is still fine here in Jimenez, we are getting a little more rain but all in all it´s been a dry rainy season. Still getting to the beach every other day, you know penetrating a tan etc.

This will probably embarrass my dad when he reads it, but I thought that alot of my friends (and Roberts fans) would probably want to know. The awesome Robert Brennan has been given the rather crappy news that he has prostrate cancer. So the next time you see him, go and give him one of those big hugs that you´ve always been hanging out to give him, because we all know what a spectacular guy he is and no amount of hugging can go astray at this point in time. To clarify please make it one of those firm, challenging, hilarious hugs that make us a bit uncomfortable so we end up laughing xx You rock RB xx In liue loads of positive vibes will suffice!

The local school students have been preparing every afternoon from 3 -4 for the Costa Rican Independance Day March in two weeks. They have about two hundred kids doing synchronised drumming. It sounds pretty cool actually and when they have a day off practice I sort of miss it. There an interesting appraoch to noise in Costa Rica actually, it´s either dogs and chickens, or salsa and merengue at full volume coming from some señoras lounge room , or better still the disco truck which drives around town once a week advertising the only event that occurs friday and Saturday nights, and that everyone knows about any way. Ner´theless this ute with enormous speakers drives around come rain or shine broadcasting at a million decibels what crazy event is going to take place on the weekend...wait you wanna guess.. that´s right..THE DISCO. Then there´s the bombas, they love a good explosion in Central America, the louder the better, strangely there are no fireworks with the explosions just an explosion, any event will warrant letting a few off and the big ones actually seem to stop your heart for a second. The only good thing about them is they clear off all the dogs from the area for about half an hour. Then there´s the evangelical churches, you know I don´t actually care how emotional people want to get about thier views on god, that´s cool, you know, but does it really have to be so loud that my dreams take on a armagaedon like quality every Saturday morning at 7.30am. These guys are pretty religious all week round as well, so none of this Sabath day holy restrcitions - you can just go and get your religious booty all fired up any time you please - Gracios señor, gracios a dios.

So I just love the intensity of it all, yet somehow despite all the noise and dust and general disorganisation there is a gentle, almost serene calm which affects everything here in this little town, nothing stirs things up too much. Everyone sat around watching the CNN Español when the Tsunami was supposed to hit last week, after the earthquake in Peru, going, oh no we´ll be right, it´ll hit Matapalo first and someone will call us... (yes you ignoramuses there was an earthquake in Peru)

Pura vida

Still miss you all

kisses and kisses

Tags: costa rica, culture

Comments

1

and i guess you haven't heard about our outbreak of equestrian flu either - given that world news doesn't always travel... - things are serious here in sydney - melbourne cup maybe moved to december!

  naomi Aug 26, 2007 8:59 PM

2

and i think that you will find that the plural of ignoramus is in fact ignoramii.....and if its not,it should be

  katherine Sep 3, 2007 8:00 PM

About katebravado


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Costa Rica

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.