Existing Member?

Pilgrims

Osa lives!!

COSTA RICA | Tuesday, 15 May 2007 | Views [1402] | Comments [3]

Trusty Osa

Trusty Osa

Howdy - Some of you may remember, that on our most recent visit to Costa Rica, Gabriel and I were loaned a dog named Osa, by Gabriels Aunt. Osa was a black cross labrador with a lovely disposition. She followed us religiously around town and became a steadfast companion. This may have been largely due to the fact that we didn´t throw rocks at her which seems to be the way to deal with dogs here, I don´t know but either way we became very attached to her. There was only one sad chapter in our relationship with Osa last trip and that was that on a long walk out to Playa Preciosa one day, I looked up through the hazy heat boucing of the durt road to see Osa several feet ahead of us, in the middle of the road with her front legs splayed apart and head down, chowing down on an enourmous steaming cow patty. Suffice to say I really couldn´t talk to her for a couple of days and something definately changed in our relationship. Since then I have been assured by various dog loving freinds of mine that I shouldn´t hold it against her and that eating and generally loving poo is a very dog like thing...guess that´s why it´s called a dogs life..

So when we got back this time - I asked a few people in town what had happened to Osa and I heard that she had pretty much been abandoned to the life most dogs experience here and was wandering town with the packs of mangy dogs, but was still alive. So I was out for the first time on Saturday night (another story - stay tuned) and I was sitting in a crowded, dusty outdoor bar in town, with probably about 70 locals and tourists in varied states loitering around. I was sitting at a rustic table sipping a ron y coke, and I felt a nudge on my thigh, I spun around ready to let fly at some five foot nothing inebriated tico* pawing me, only to see a malnoursihed black lab looking up at me tail wagging with great gusto....after checking with the bar staff i it was confirmed that it was Osa. So after six long years and the incident of the cow patt between us, she picked me out of all those people. She spent the rest of the night by my side and although I couldn´t pet her much because she smelt like a dainty combination of vomit and sewer, and although the owners kept chasing her outside with an increasingly violent broom, she kept coming back and sneaking a spot by my side.

awwhhhh.

Unfortunately I had to get a taxi back to town late that night so I couldn´t bring her with me and still have any friends, but I will persevere in finding her again and bringing her to our house for a bath and a good feed. Will also post a photo when possible.   

I keep telling Gabiel and myself that if you believe in good things they just keep happening. Also reading the Tao of Pooh and being the uncarved block.

Love to you all

Remember that judging those who eat shit, can at times be premature.

Tags: costa rica, friends

Comments

1

I so glad you have put my mind to rest on that most sensitive of topics.Now that I am completely reassured that you wont judge me,I will tuck in with great gusto to the first turd that crosses my path.
love yas

  katherine May 15, 2007 7:29 PM

2

OSA!!

how wonderful to find old friends, eh. i'm touched just imagining you and (!?) gabriel washing the stink off osa.

please tell me the story of going out on the town. love to hear how it is. salir en centro america, sure is another world. tell me tell me!

hey, was happening sister?!

xjb

  james May 20, 2007 12:06 PM

3

Hi Kate & Gabrielle
I have found you! We had trouble finding you through the website you left but I was persistant. Great to hear that you are ok and having a great time. I be sure to give Murray tbe black clean cat with ok breath, a very big cuddle tonight. Love Jacqui Darcy & Oliver

  Jacqueline Armstrong May 21, 2007 11:31 AM

About katebravado


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Costa Rica

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.