Existing Member?

Pilgrims

Putting it to the People

COSTA RICA | Thursday, 21 June 2007 | Views [836] | Comments [4]

Well folks Gabriel and I are now into our third month on the road, and we've got the mosquito bites to prove it! One of the reasons that there have been no entries for the last few weeks is that Gabriels school work finally arrived and I started back at Uni* this week / online. This is all good by the way because so far Gabriel is being a super little student and we are enjoying most of the time we work together and I am trying to be in good humour about spending so much time infront of the computer screen trying to read about existentialism and experiential cognitive phenomonology(gasp for breath). At least I can skip over pronunciation! 

On a less educative level we got notice on our little house. The very generous couple who let us stay there now want us out, no hard feelings just that they can, I did try pinching Gabriel a couple of times so he could squeeze out a tear or two but to no avail. Hilariously Gabriel did infact show Tom (the owner) his school journal the next day, for which the entire days entry consisted of the words.

'We have to leave our little house'

Too funny. Still not swayed...ahh well, some people. So folks, my antenae are out and blowing in the wind wondering what now. Our visas expire in about a month and I still have mural to paint in a hotel up the coast a bit, so it may be time to hit the road. At this point I think you should all have a little vote.

1. Kate and Gabriel move back in to Gabriel's Aunties house, which will raise the number of children currently living there to 5 (yep) 

2. Kate and Gabriel set forward on rolicking adventures through Costa Rica to explore culture, language and tropical delights.

3. Kate and Gabriel volunteer for a little while in one of the many and varied animal shelters or like.

4. Kate and Gabriel go to intensive Spanish school for a couple of weeks in Panama to really knock this language en la cabeza. 

4. Kate enlists Gabriel into the non existant Costa Rican Army and shanghais a yacht with some dapper young crew members and floats around the carribean 4 a bit.  

VOTE NOW

Finally, and it may help you make the decision on which tantalising option to vote for, I have been reminding myself to tell this short story of our early arrival in Costa Rica, which reminded me why I love Latinos, when they aren't driving me bonkers. Gabriel and I had finally left San Jose, and were on a 10 hour plus bus trip to the Pacific coast. The trip only went about 300kms though, really shocking roads and alot of people stood for most of it.  About half way into it, the bus driver swapped with another driver and after a friedly if rather long chat between the two the driver shut the door and we were about to get going again. Well when the bus driver engaged the accelerator, he managed to do a series of dynamic bunny hops with the bus. Now in Australia and I suspect the rest of the western world this might evoke a couple of concerned looks or awkward chuckles, but in Costa Rica, no. Virtually half the bus broke into spontaneuos cheering and suggestive whooping, arms flying about and jumping up and down in their seats to enhance the whole effect. One of the reasons I love this part of the world.

Life's short on the days that it's not long so get a chuckle where you can!

Don't forget to vote / every vote counts!!!!

Love

Kate

* not to self no/one here understands this shorertening of the work university and some may even feel, dare I say it that it dumbs down the word and sounds a touch uneducated! Gosh.

Tags: costa rica, work

Comments

1

i cant even understand why the yacht option is so far down on the list.....

  katherine Jun 21, 2007 9:12 PM

2

I am with Katherine, 5 kids in a house together, or dapper crew on a boat. No question. Gabriel would learn great skills in the army - don't worry!

  Merrin Cooper Jun 22, 2007 1:12 PM

3

what about getting gabe a job on a yacht and you doing a combo of 2,3,4?

  naomi Jun 29, 2007 10:37 AM

4

Start with option 2. Once you have taken on enough of the culture, build a raft and set sail with Osa. Become pirates and take over bigger and better boats you move in to the 2nd stage of option 4.

  Ryan Jul 9, 2007 1:40 PM

About katebravado


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Costa Rica

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.