Existing Member?

Live your dreams

First Impressions

GHANA | Tuesday, 16 July 2013 | Views [947] | Comments [5]

i guess at first I was anxious of how things would be like in Ghana. I could never really form a picture in my head about it, all that ever came up was either the corrupt images from the news or the lion king...two huge extremes. Though, I had only ever heard good things about Ghana, the people are nice and friendly etc. 

I guess first impressions really do make all the difference. When my last flight landed, after 33 hours spent travelling to Ghana, I was not as exhausted as I thought I would be. I left the plane and headed towards the Immigration Desk. The man behind the counter asked me why i was coming to ghana, i replied quietly with the reason of volunteering. He told me I was beautiful and asked if we could be friends. I didnt think I heard him right so I asked him to repeat himself, only to get the exact same response. I told him we could be friends. He asked for my facebook, which I took the paper he gave me and wrote my name. Soon after papers were done he gave me my passport back. To my surprise I found a little loose paper between the pages where he had placed his name and number...

Never ever would I have thought I would enter a country in that way.

 

I have already met some wonderful people from all over the world, tonight I spend a night in Accra with some other volunteers who are from other organisations but im also with a guy from Canada who will be helping out with a building project in Cape Coast with Projects Abroad too.

Tomorrow morning we will make our way to Cape Coast after breakfast. Im lucky to have wifi tonight because of the hostel, however I am unsure of whether I will have any connections at my host home.

 

I bought some paintings from a man named Don.D, his actual name is Maxwell, but he says too many Ghanian's have that name. His paintings are very beautiful, , they are inspired by the north of africa where the villages are. 

 

I feel safe here, the people are so friendly and curtious. When you walk down the street they always make the effort to say hello.

 

Im excited for tomorrow, I get to meet my host family and see my placement.

 

Mama, tomorrow I will buy a sim card.

 

 

I love you, sweet dreams <3

Tags: ghana

Comments

1

Glad you arrived safely pito and lol at the immigration man giving you his phone number.. you sexy beast, you.
Be safe and have a wonderful time, lots of love.. your pito x

  Rhiana Molfese Jul 17, 2013 7:35 PM

2

Jules continue writing another blog when you get the time! Miss you heaps I've been sleeping on your bed! ;) loved the phone conversation we had together the other day I just screamed... Haha loveee you

  Rebecca Bediaga Jul 20, 2013 3:22 PM

3

Hi Julia, happy to hear you are doing well so far! what a lovely man at immigration...his right you are! Can't wait to hear lots more of your exciting stories and experiences. ENJOY!! xxxx

  Ashley Vella Jul 22, 2013 3:36 PM

4

Keep writing beautiful, I love you so much xx

  Sam Jul 24, 2013 7:18 PM

5

so glad you have arrived safe beautiful girl! looking forward to your new post! keep smiling and stay safe! love always xxxxx

  laura caserta Jul 24, 2013 8:31 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Ghana

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.