Existing Member?

My Dumb Idea

5 a.m. wake up call

CHINA | Thursday, 3 September 2009 | Views [559] | Comments [2]

Seriously I am in China to teach English not to join the Marines. I get a call this morning waking me up out of sound sleep. Apparently the police are on the way up to my room to exam the safety of my living conditions. Seriously, it is not like i am living next to a bomb factory, or I store hydrochloric acid in my room, or I am living on the surface of the sun. The most dangerous thing in my room are the bugs, cause they are huge, but I am handling that on my own. I guess if they wanted to come back at night and do a stakeout for bugs I would appreciate it. I am just using an old ratty fly swatter, they have guns. I bet after the bugs see a few of their friends blow apart with their intestines spilling out of them like bad spaghetti, they will think twice about invading my room. Of course the police didn't offer to do that, they just looked around for like five minutes asked me 2 whole questions, yes I am American and yes I go to YinYang Medical College. Wow that is some awesome interrogating, they almost made me give away my secret location to my stash of oreos cookies in the cupboard. The police are so feirce that when they knocked on Finn's door and SimmSimm (his dog) began barking they both jumped and reached for their pistols, seriously I got bugs the size of a dog and the real dog scares you. So of course I was so rattled by my experience that it took me like 27 seconds to go right back to sleep and almost forget the whole thing even happened. When I woke up some hours later I almost thought it had been a dream, till I got a call from Luke that went like this.

Me- "Hey, man what's up."

Luke- "Not much just going to get some Kung pao rice. Do you want any?"

Me- "I am actually in the computer lab on campus, so unless you want to give it to the shirpa to bring up to me, then I am good."

Luke-"Ok (laughs). By the way did the police come by your apartment really early this morning and ask you like one question." 

Me- "Yeah, what was up with that."

Luke-"No idea. They didn't do that last year when we were here. Weird."

Me-"Definitely weird."

And end scene

So I was told this morning that I might actually get my new computer later this afternoon (Begin Handel's Hallelujah (not sure on spelling of that) chorus). Of course I will get a new computer and they will not know to install Dr. dot com (security program used by the school to restrict network access) and give me a login and password to access the internet. So I will still have to walk to the English lab or go to Finns to use the internet for another week till they figure that out.

I am planning on playing basketball this afternoon again. I have been told that their are going to be a few scouts for the local professional out there to watch me and Finn play. So maybe I will give up my teaching career to pursue a professional basketball career. Who knows I might represent China in the next Olympics. If you don't know that that is a joke I cant help you, sorry.

Comments

1

I would have been scared as hell. Dude. I've never been in one, but I don't imagine that a Chinese prison is very accommodating. It does seem that their interrogation techniques seem to be lacking, but maybe that is all a ruse to make you feel that you have gotten the best of them. Next week is when the hammer will drop with a SWAT team in full riot gear besieging your apartment. You better conscript all the bugs. Bullets cost money, the dead cost nothing.

  cross Sep 3, 2009 11:44 PM

2

...i just envisioned that whole scenario with the SWAT team and everything. It was kind of exciting. Kind of scary. Mostly exciting, though.

And i completely understand your talent at basketball, but i hope you tell those scouts, and make it clear, that you want to be on the NBA. We need some Josh Patterson on Gatorade/Under Armour/Nike commercials. Bad ass.

  avoidthenastyones Sep 4, 2009 12:00 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.