Existing Member?

My Dumb Idea

The Furnace

CHINA | Thursday, 20 August 2009 | Views [608] | Comments [4]

Wuhan, is an enormous city, its separated into three parts by the Yangtzee or Mother River. After arriving in Beijing I made my way around what can only be described as the world's largest airport. It was a 30 minute bus ride to get from terminal 3 to terminal 2, nuts. I landed a little late in Wuhan, and even though I did not know the nickname of the city yet, I already new why they called it the furnace. It was blazing hot and it was nighttime. Humidity through the roof and like 32C outside. Let me just tell you the most interesting 15 minutes of your life will be when you are drenched in sweat, trying to figure out how to turn on the room ac unit that is all in Chinese, in the words of Holycross OMG. Met my guide its a chick, I spent 14 hours on a plane next to a chick, we all know J.P. is scared of three things ( and yes I went third person I am in China what are you going to do about it) Heights, spiders, and women. So needless to say I may have spoken less than three complete sentences today. I also hate that feeling that everybody is looking at me, and usually its just an affectation of my low self-esteem, but here its totally true. Kids look at me like a rhino just escaped from the zoo and they dont know if its the coolest thing they have ever seen or the scariest. Adults just openly gawk, I mean I know I am hot but seriously. I got some pics and a few video blogs I shot coming up for you guys next but its midnight and I have to be up at 7 for a medical exam, and then I have a 5 hour train ride through the Furnace to look for too. Facebook does not work here, so let everybody know to sign on here and you can comment on my blog pages that way I can keep in touch. Also you can directly email me at patterson.24@wright.edu, so spread the word.

Tags: furnace

 

Comments

1

Aw, sweetie. Women aren't that scary. It's only when you piss us off that you should be terrified. We should've given you a girl pep talk before you left. ;)
If you ever feel yourself getting nervous, just remember: we're just as clueless as men; we're just better at pretending like we're not.
But whatever. Enough with the girl talk. I'm really glad to see you can post on this. I'm really, really, really happy you made it and are safe. And I really, really, really, really, really, really miss you. We all do. We went to dinner the night after you left and we couldn't go 10 minutes without something reminding us of you.
Stay safe, stay sane. <3!

  godohell Aug 20, 2009 12:40 PM

2

DAMN son...Glad to know you made it safe and sound. Next time you see those annoying kids...remember blue baloons. You should be fine.
You should tell the adults you are the voice and personality of Kung fu panda.

  Moss Aug 20, 2009 12:44 PM

3

"Oh ma gad!" I'm so glad you are all up in the internets with your travels. Can't wait to see some pics and the like.

Also, I don't know hot 32C is. Actually I do. I'm a scientist. And its burning like the friggin' sun over there.

As soon as you get permanent residence, send me an address. I have some socks that you left here.

  cross Aug 21, 2009 6:14 AM

4

totally hate no place after airport security to get re-dressed and pick up all your stuff. i always have to take my belt off , and the shoes, et.c and it makes me feel like i'm getting dressed in front of strangers! ridiculous! anyway. glad you made it! can't wait to see pix and keep up with your travels. really excited for you. have fun, but don't do all the things Dan would do!

  jaime Aug 25, 2009 11:00 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.