Existing Member?

Where's Jonny? Care to dine with me? You would think that 11 years of daily food tasting for a living might put me off?......au contraire! Chomp away with me across 6 continents. Seduced like a bloodhound to the scent of good food, I anticipate the misty waft of steaming broths, the satisfying crunch of mudbugs and the vibrant aroma of freshly pulverised lemongrass. Buon appetito

10 reasons

HONG KONG | Saturday, 3 March 2007 | Views [814]

5 reasons to raise your chopsticks

1. You are given soul cleansing, bladder rinsing, green tea in every restaurant without asking and topped up regularly.  Its likely to be Jasmine which tastes a bit like bubblegum.

2. You are never rushed for the bill.

3. Hong Kong Dim Sum are world famous.  Find the right place and you'll eat amazingly intricate flavour explosions.  Expect an assortment of 8 dim sum and unlimited tea for 4 quid.

4. Restaurant beaurocracy - There are half a dozen colour coded uniforms.  Hillarious - makes the French look sensible.

5. Roasted meats - crispy duck, salted pork is consistently good wherever you eat like coffee in Italy although don't expect it to be hot like your espresso

5 reasons to lay down your sticks

1. Sharks fin soup - this is on many menus although I did see vegetarian sharks fin soup on one!!  Sharks are endangered as are other sea creatures such as Abalone - stop, now.

2. fermented duck eggs.  They taste putrid and stink as will your ass having eaten one.

3. Slippy noodles - beware the ones that are flat, slimy and served in broth.  They are designed for one customer only - the tourist.  If they give you porcelein chopsticks, you stand no chance at all.  Wave goodbye to your shirt and trousers.

4. Oversized fish in small tanks - fresh is good however, someone got the maths wrong when they put 3 feet grouper fish into a 2 foot tank.

5. Fraudulent operators - Its not just Gucci and Rolex that are copied.  Some crook copied my prawns, sticking moulded prawn-like crap inside my dim sum.

Tags: Food & eating

 

 

Travel Answers about Hong Kong

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.