Existing Member?

Where's Jonny? Care to dine with me? You would think that 11 years of daily food tasting for a living might put me off?......au contraire! Chomp away with me across 6 continents. Seduced like a bloodhound to the scent of good food, I anticipate the misty waft of steaming broths, the satisfying crunch of mudbugs and the vibrant aroma of freshly pulverised lemongrass. Buon appetito

Flatulent desserts

HONG KONG | Friday, 2 March 2007 | Views [1204]

Keen on trying a dessert, I polished off my succulent duck, coconutty steamed buns as white as meringue and obligatory white sticky rice - which was not needed at all.

I was indeed the chopstick master and even the locals nodded at my skills.

Asking for a light dessert the waiter pointed to the list of options.  Most were deep fried, sweet bun-type-things that came served with sticky syrup.

Intrigued by the one that used red bean paste and cinnamon I ordered and waited excitedly.

10 mins later and a large, flat, oblong pastry came out resembling a huge fig roll.  This time the figgy stuff had been replaced by goey red bean paste - which wasn't bad at all.  The hot, crispy pastry had presumably been deep fried.  The cinnamon dusted surface was similar to filo but heralded a heavier, stogier second layer beneath. Bloody French colonials! - hold on............. no, it was us............ the Brits.

Fig roll, deep fried, stogey.............that explains everything.

  

Tags: Food & eating

 

 

Travel Answers about Hong Kong

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.