Existing Member?

Where's Jonny? Care to dine with me? You would think that 11 years of daily food tasting for a living might put me off?......au contraire! Chomp away with me across 6 continents. Seduced like a bloodhound to the scent of good food, I anticipate the misty waft of steaming broths, the satisfying crunch of mudbugs and the vibrant aroma of freshly pulverised lemongrass. Buon appetito

Try some pot

HONG KONG | Wednesday, 28 February 2007 | Views [980] | Comments [1]

That was me.

One night all things oceanic were presented to me in a cast iron pot of bubbling juice, steam spilling from the rounded sides like a witches cauldron as the lid was ceremoniously lifted.  "Wow," I said out loud to the bemusement of several locals who probably ate similar dishes every night.

Last night I ordered another casserole hooked on the comforting joy they offered to a lonesome traveller. This time it was at my local "MX" - a chain of restaurants with set menus.  You choose the menu then pay, then get your meal pretty quickly afterwards after queuing.

My meal was a combo - a thin, non-viscous, sweetcorn tasting soup with bits of this and that, green tea and a large roast duck casserole all for 35 hkd (about 3.50)

Just as I was getting irritated by the lack of heat in the casserole a lady in a pinafore approached and offered a base unit for the dish.  It contained a pot an flammable substance.  "whoooooof," in 5 minutes the whole dish was jumping with heat like Frankensteins monster in an electric storm. 

The tasty, cleavered slices of roast duck were just the beginning,  for beneath there was a treasure trove of meaty pieces.

Salty belly pork, toffee coloured fried tofu, crunchy broccoli florets and many other unidentifiable pieces of meat and bone.  There was def. some ventricles and I dare say some other bits ending in "....icles," but I really didn't care.  I found soft sewedey vegetable and meaty balls of (chicken?) amongst the pot's now mouth burningly hot contents.

Slurp, guzzle, sip, dribble.........

"These guys can cook an all-in-one dish every bit as well as the French," I thought as I headed back to the neon lights. 

Tags: Food & eating

Comments

1

hey Jonny,
I'm loving the food and travel blog. Glad I'm not alone as the only person who remembers what they ate in every town. My last big trip was to Cambodia and Laos where the food was amaaazing, except those strange drinks called 'milk tea' with weird jelly globules. please find some roast duck in a dodgy Honk Kong back alley and eat enough for two.

  crustyadventures Mar 1, 2007 9:35 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Hong Kong

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.