Existing Member?

Where's Jonny? Care to dine with me? You would think that 11 years of daily food tasting for a living might put me off?......au contraire! Chomp away with me across 6 continents. Seduced like a bloodhound to the scent of good food, I anticipate the misty waft of steaming broths, the satisfying crunch of mudbugs and the vibrant aroma of freshly pulverised lemongrass. Buon appetito

Jonny eats in MacDonalds

HONG KONG | Monday, 26 February 2007 | Views [939]

Yeah rrrrrrrrrrrrrrright!!  I suspected the hideous notion might grab your attention readers. 

Although I have been eating in restaurants whose decor remind me of the American giant the food bares no relation.  Last night I achieved something.  I reached the peak.....and I'm not talking about my career in acting, no I reached the highest point on Hong Kong Island.  Its a jaw droppingl;y beautiful if voracious ascent (by tram) but felt compelled to take a photo from this optimum of positions in the sky.

Making my way quickly down so I could breathe again (literally) I chanced upon a cafe complete with fixed seats, uncomfortable steel backs and lots of reds, yellows and greens (you get the resemblance)

I instinctively flashed past any British or American dishes on the laminated menu like a shark sees through a shoal of bland looking fish preferring the surfer in bright shorts above.

"mmm let's go for the Malaysian chicken," I thought, my body still intoxicated by the heights I had scaled.

The waitress was busy and flustered, my green tea slid towards my hand like a sasparilla in a western saloon, but she took the order.

10 minutes later 2 dishes arrived, one bearing a satellite-dish-sized bowl of white rice, the other large pives of chicken on the bone sat deep in a rich red sauce.

The chicken (a thigh and a leg) was meltingly tender, falling off the bone and full of the flavour of the sauce.  There was a huge potato in the sauce too as if the rice mouynd was not enough.  They do love their starches.

Now I've never budgetted in my entire life and I almost felt an extended hand from my mother in England who taught me to be careful with money and whose advice I have always ignored.

This is because the meal cost me under three pounds, or less than my daily underground ticket.

A whole world of cheaper - but in no way inferior, restaurants were calling out to me.

I followed a similar tack the next day and ate crispy duck, choi sum and rice for 23 HKD or 1.50. 

A food culture is knowing how to treat food even if its cheaper cuts.  Its about freshness and seasonality.  These guys know.  Shame the McDonalds don't.

Tags: Food & eating

 

 

Travel Answers about Hong Kong

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.