Existing Member?

Where's Jonny? Care to dine with me? You would think that 11 years of daily food tasting for a living might put me off?......au contraire! Chomp away with me across 6 continents. Seduced like a bloodhound to the scent of good food, I anticipate the misty waft of steaming broths, the satisfying crunch of mudbugs and the vibrant aroma of freshly pulverised lemongrass. Buon appetito

You want noodle?

HONG KONG | Friday, 23 February 2007 | Views [753]

Timing into Hong Kong was impeccable.  I misseed the extravagant New Year firework display by 2 days nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo  It was the year of the pig alright.  When I touched down an unrelenting ulta fine mist soaked me forming globules across my face where suntan had been spread previously (yeah right Jonny)  Its winter here.

As the mist turned to torrential rain I found myself having to fill in several hours before I could move into my room (which was somewhere in the sky)The water was soothing actually as it was humid and the pattering water hitting tarpaulin shop canopies made the place feel like a film noir.  I was Harrison Ford in Bladerunner tracking down mutants.

This was an undeniably dingy part of Hong Kong City made even darker by the weather which was closing in. My jet lagged body persevered and I wandered dazed through fish markets, bustling side roads and across tram tracks narrowly avoiding the traffic.

Its a real food culture here for sure.   Wherever you walk there are rich smells of food cooking.  Namely I am getting roast duck, seafood, noodles and aromatic spices.

Dim Sum stalls, noodle bars, restaurants and hair salons predominate evry single street.  There are amazing produce displays most of which features live animals that snap and squirt stuff at you as you pass.  Even the Pak choi roots seemed to look up at me.  Everything is so alive and so vibrant.

For a former British enclave I see no evidence.  This is remarkably unwesternised.

This is an exciting,friendly, fun, alive city.

Tags: Culture

 

 

Travel Answers about Hong Kong

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.