Existing Member?

Where's Jonny? Care to dine with me? You would think that 11 years of daily food tasting for a living might put me off?......au contraire! Chomp away with me across 6 continents. Seduced like a bloodhound to the scent of good food, I anticipate the misty waft of steaming broths, the satisfying crunch of mudbugs and the vibrant aroma of freshly pulverised lemongrass. Buon appetito

Call me Keith Moon

SOUTH AFRICA | Tuesday, 20 February 2007 | Views [829] | Comments [1]

"A great stress reliever" announced the flier.  "Mmmm Afrikan Djembe drumming session it is," I thought already feeling the rhythm deep in my soul.

That evening I sat with others in an arc round two Congolese(?) gents who were as laid back as you like. (was it the drums or something else?? - answers on a postcard)

With a goat skin drum planted firmly between my legs and facing the gents I took to pounding with remarkable ease.

Thats until they started adding beats and confusing the hell out of me.

After an hour, powerfully deep beats emerged from the group who had managed to master some basics rhythms over which the two gents overplayed (much faster, oh and they sang too) It was an amazing sound.

By the end, my hands had swollen to cartoon-like proportions and a large bucket of ice was requested.

I could swear that smoke appeared as I dropped my digits in the soothingly cold water.

I would love to try this again as I feel hypnotised by the beats.

Tags: Culture

Comments

1

as much as you like your ray-bans I suggets you either don't wear them, buy some that cover your entire face.... or just use sun cream whilst wearing them!!!!


happy travels

Chaz

  chaz Feb 22, 2007 4:50 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.