Existing Member?

Gauri's Adventures

The Pope, The Ancient City and La Fontana di Trevi

ITALY | Saturday, 5 May 2007 | Views [289]

We went on a tour of Vatican City today and it was beautiful. It was weird to go to a place that I have read about and seen books about and see on TV. To actually be there was really cool. We went into the Sistine Chapel at first, and I was a little disappointed. In pictures, it looks a lot more amazing than it actually is. The chapel itself is small and so crowded that it just seems claustrophobic inside. I also think that maybe if I were Catholic (or Christian, or Jesus-y) that it would have meant more to see all the art inside the chapel, but for me it was just pretty paintings. We walked through the chapel and a few other galleries before going to St. Peter’s Basilica and St. Peter’s Square. Here is where I was actually impressed. The Basilica is huge and beautiful, but again would mean more if I was Jesus-y. In St. Peter’s Square, our guide pointed out the Pope’s apartment and where he waves to the people every Sunday. It was crazy to think, “hey I’m looking at the Pope’s house right now!” After the Vatican, we ate lunch (hot dog and French fries, yeah!) and then went to the Ancient City. It was really cool to see all the runs and to think of how long they have actually been there. We ended our tour at the Colosseum which we are going to take an internal tour of tomorrow. Because we were so tired from the day, we took naps and then went to Trastevere for dinner. We went to a cute place with awful service and awful wine, but good bread and ok food. The best part of the day/night/Rome was definitely when Crystal, Katie and I walked to the Trevi Fountain after dinner. It was around midnight but we all wanted to see the fountain at night so we went there an it was beautiful. I didn’t like Rome very much, but the Trevi Fountain at night was DEFINITELY worth it.

Tags: Sightseeing

 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.