Existing Member?

Field Notes Close to home or in a far away jungle, there is always something marvelous to see.

Protecting Nature

USA | Wednesday, 30 September 2009 | Views [420]

Six species, one sandbar, Ding Darling NWR Florida

Six species, one sandbar, Ding Darling NWR Florida

As we travel the country we can't help but be impressed by the cooperative effort of environmental groups like the Audubon Society, The Nature Conservancy, state parks and especially the US Fish and Wildlife Service and their system of National Wildlife Refuges. 

As it turns out we have been preceding the annual fall migration along the eastern flyway.  Blame it on the crazy weather or maybe it's just the whimsy of the birds but we seemed to miss "rush hour" at Cape May, Cape Charles VA, Cape Hateras NC and even Huntington SC.  But here at Ding Darling NWR on Sanibel Island, Florida it hardly seems to matter.  Wood storks, white ibis, roseate spoonbills, all manner of herons and egrets, and even American avocets have joined with all sorts of warblers to make for a wonderful experience.  We even saw our first manatees, a real treat for us Coloradans.

So, on behalf of our feathered, finned and furry friends we thank all those individuals and organizations that protect our natural places.

 
 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.