Existing Member?

Field Notes Close to home or in a far away jungle, there is always something marvelous to see.

Cape May, En Jay

USA | Thursday, 17 September 2009 | Views [376]

Black skimmer

Black skimmer

There isn’t a time when birds aren’t migrating through Cape May.  What we birders come for in the spring and fall is the migration “rush hour.”  Diverse species traveling down the coast are funneled into this skinny peninsula by the Atlantic and Delaware Bay making Cape May a bird-watching destination.

The famous haunts are Higbee Beach, The Nature Conservancy preserve, the “Beanery,” and Cape May Lighthouse State Park where the annual hawk count takes place.  The local economy capitalizes on the popularity, too.  Motels and campgrounds stay open long after Labor Day and the Cape May Bird Observatory sells passes, birding guides, T-shirts and all types of uber-expensive optics designed especially for birders. 

In the years I lived in New Jersey (forty-five) and all the time I spent “down the shore” I never made it to Cape May.  Not even Wildwood!  Now that I have lived in Colorado for seventeen years I finally made it.  Intentionally. And as far as we are concerned Cape May lives up to its billing.

 
 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.