Existing Member?

Field Notes Close to home or in a far away jungle, there is always something marvelous to see.

Let Freedom Ring

USA | Sunday, 13 September 2009 | Views [590]

Independence Hall, Philadelphia

Independence Hall, Philadelphia

A decade or so ago in Philadelphia when I first visited the Liberty Bell you could walk right up and take a photo.  In our post-Nine/Eleven America you must first queue up and go through a security check.  No food, beverages, explosives, firearms or knives are permitted including, it turns out, the tiny Swiss Army type on my key ring.  When I asked the park ranger if it would be permitted she stretched to her full five feet four, tucked in he chin, straightened her ranger hat and in her most officious voice told me, “Sir, you must go to security.”  Again I asked, “Is this allowed?”  “Sir, you must go to security.”  I suppose she didn’t know the rules and was ashamed to say, “Boy, I don’t know.  Why don’t you check with security?”  I wonder the NPS gave her an extra large uniform and she let her ego expand to fill it.  Most of the park rangers we have met were wonderful and much more patient than we had a right to expect.  But not this one.

So I have a photo of Independence Hall – but not the Liberty Bell.  No big deal I guess.  With so much of the Constitution on hold its symbolism is largely meaningless.  Instead we went to watch the Phillies and Mets.  Baseball - now that’s America!

 
 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.