Existing Member?

Field Notes Close to home or in a far away jungle, there is always something marvelous to see.

Toronto and Niagara Falls

CANADA | Wednesday, 5 August 2009 | Views [2141]

Niagara Falls, not just another roadside attraction

Niagara Falls, not just another roadside attraction

We crossed from Michigan into Canada at Sault Ste. Marie on Sunday. Since we had visited the 'Soo Locks' years ago we stayed for only the night and headed for Toronto.  After 8 hours of driving we were not to be denied a campsite because of a little skunk!  It seems some campers had been feeding the critters and they took over the tent area.  But we are tough, right?  The campground is the nearest to Toronto and would have been delightful except that it sits right on the noisy highway. Earplugs really help.

On Tuesday we drove into town to visit the Art Gallery of Ontario and go to the Blue Jays - Yankees game.  Toronto is like a smaller version of Chicago -2.5 million people of many ethnicities on a beautiful lake. And it is expensive.  The art gallery doesn't compare with the Chicago Institute of Art but it was interesting nevertheless.  The featured artists were Canada's own "Group of Seven" who reminded me a little of the Hudson River School and the sculptor Henry Moore.  The real hit, however, was the architecture of the building.

The Blue Jays aren't among the top teams in baseball but the seats fill up when the Yankees are in town.  We bought cheap tickets in section 517 but had a good view of the game.  Yankees 5, Blue Jays 3.  Plus we got to see at least five future Hall of Famers; Halladay, Petit, Arod, Jeter and Riviera.  Not bad for twenty bucks!

I have always thought of Niagara Falls as a bit of a cliche, the honeymoon destination of old.  But there is a reason that all those millions of tourists go there - it is spectacular!  Especially when viewed from the Canadian side.

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.