Existing Member?

Field Notes Close to home or in a far away jungle, there is always something marvelous to see.

Shaking the Family Tree

USA | Tuesday, 21 July 2009 | Views [835]

Connie, Jim and Rylee Lintz

Connie, Jim and Rylee Lintz

Genealogy is quite the rage and Connie’s brother Ron has caught the bug.  He has traced the Lintz (aka Linz, Lins, Linss) family back 700 years to Alsace Lorraine.  Ron, the consummate story-teller, wasn’t satisfied; he has fictionalized his findings into a novel about brothers who immigrated to America to start a brewery.  The trail went cold in Michigan but when he heard about a South Dakota branch of the family he enlisted Connie to Track them down.

As soon as I saw Jim I knew we were in the right place.  He is a bear of a man, larger even than Ron!  One of the staff at Lintz Brothers’ Pizza in Hermosa directed us to his ranch and called to give him a ‘heads-up.’  Jim looked at us skeptically as Connie explained her mission but he, too, soon caught the fever.  He made copies from a local history with photos of John Jacob Lintz who actually helped carve Mt. Rushmore!

John Jacob isn’t the only celebrity.  Jim himself served several terms as a representative and a senator in the state assembly.  His brother, a giant among men, wrestled professionally as ‘Sheik Ali’ or some such and one of his sons plays basketball for Yale. 

Jim is a hard-working, god-fearing man with a deep distrust of the federal government and I didn’t give him any reasons to jump down the throat of a skinny liberal like me.  And while I know ranchers and farmers have it tough it is hard to feel sorry for a guy whose 1500 acres are worth nearly ten million dollars.

 

 
 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.