Existing Member?

More News from Somewhere So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Whistler in Review: Part 2 - The Village

CANADA | Friday, 25 March 2011 | Views [2086] | Comments [1]

Whistler in Review: Part 2 - The Village

Whistler village was constructed in 1978 from the old garbage dump. So it was designed around the same time as these buildings. As you'd probably expect, most of the village is devoted to a combination of retail, hospitality and accommodation. But is it good?

Whistler village can be a little like Disneyland. The buildings look pretty and ski-towny. Nice lighting is strung up around the village, pretty at night. But it all lacks a little soul. The Alps feel about the buildings disappears as soon as you enter the buildings, and is replaced with fake fireplaces and American style bars. Just not authentic.

Best Bars

Bars in Whistler can be split into 3 types:

  1. Locals Bars - Dingy, dirty, busy, and (most importantly) cheap - for Whistler. These tend to be filled with locals and other cash-strapped folk. Elis' favourite is the Cinnamon Bear, which is cheap and grungy, and gets bonus style points for being in the Hilton.
    Caesars - a bad Canadian joke. Booze should not contain bacon, beans or clams. Ever.
    Safe to day we're not recommending the Caesar from Cinni Bear.
  2. Apres Bars - Packed from about 3 in the afternoon until about 8pm. Quite a few of these are also locals bars (as above). Can vary from cheapish to fairly expensive. Tend to have live music (coverbands), drinks specials and the like. Elis' (and Bron's) favourite was the GLC, which has a great location and a good atmosphere, but is a little pricey.
  3. Tourist Bars - High priced, possible dress code? They look clean from the outside. I think we've been to one of these, so Fire-Rock wins by default. Well done to Fire-Rock.
    Aaaarrrghhh!
    Fire-Rock: The surroundings are comfortable, and the couches nice, but the prices can result in some less than positive reactions.

Best Restaurants

Whistler has a wide range of restaurants, and covers most of its bases. Its Japanese is exceptional, its pizzas plentiful. Most restuarants are expensive, even before you tip (customarily 15%), but a few are good value.

Our favourite restaurant is Sushi Village, which is quite famous, has sensational and beautiful sushi, saki and isn't ridiculously expensive. Aside from the waiting room, it doesn't have TVs on the wall everywhere, which is a pleasant rarity in Canada. Another highlight was the Fairmont Chateau's fondue, which is half price to locals on Sundays. 4 courses of fonduey goodness resulted in much self-loathing afterwards, but was stupidly delicious.

The girls tucking into fondue
Tasty. The fondue was good too.

Good cheaper alternatives include White Spot, Zogs poutine (hangover preventer!) and Crystal Lounge.

Other Highlights and Things

Best Coffee: The Lift Company. Has an actual cafe vibe, with coffee that isn't either Starbucks or Seattle's Best (which is owned by Starbucks). Streams Triple J on the radio too. I guess it felt and tasted more like an Australian cafe than an American one.

Best Mountain Restaurant: Ok, not really villagey, but I didn't address this before. Crystal Hut wins by a mile - the meals are cooked in a wood fire, and has a good steak sandwich. Famous waffles.

Harmony Hut, with Lauryn
Tea tastes better at 2100m elevation. Especially when brewed by this person

Best Snowsport Store: Comors. They aren't owned by Whistler Blackcomb, have an excellent range, and generally pretty good staff.

Best Retail Store: I don't know. Ask a girl. They seemed to like Lids, which sold hats and beannies.

Best Pizza Vendor: Fat Tonys! They put sesame seeds in the crust, they aren't overly greasy or cheesy, and conveniently located in places you are likely to be drunk in.

Best Random Shop: I was a massive fan of the Gem Store. Basically, they sold fossils, as well as gems. So for $14000 you could buy the tusk of a woolly mammoth. Or for $35000, you could buy the full skeleton of a 10' Cave Bear, with big claws and teeth. I was gutted no one bought him.
For $30,000 Canadian, the 10' cave bear fossil could be yours.
For the person who has everything, except a giant bear skeleton.

Best Celebrity Spot: The Pinkett-Smiths hiring out the whole of the tube park seemed pretty cool. The former-Governator has a house near staff housing, but there were no massive Austrian's hidden under baseball caps spotted.

Ash Grunwald with the girls
Also, Ash Grunwald

Tags: whistler

 

Comments

1

Put the cave bear on the Xmas list for me!

  Mum Apr 12, 2011 8:31 PM

About elis82

Nacula Island Folks

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.