Existing Member?

More News from Somewhere So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Season's Eve

CANADA | Friday, 19 November 2010 | Views [612]

The last couple of weeks have been fairly slow, waiting for the season to kick off. The initial snow didn't quite last the afternoon. It warmed up for a bit and we spent time in the gym getting ready for the season, and in the pub, undoing our good work. We've taken up indoor climbing too, to keep things interesting. Its good fun, but after an hour or so, I discovered some new muscles, mostly in my hands.

We've been lucky enough to see a bunch of bears whilst wondering around. A few times they've been hanging out around the front of staff housing late at night when we've come back in; always a bit of a shock.

We've also had our last housemate move in - a Londoner named Chris (or as we've taken to calling him, Gramps). Its Chris' birthday on Friday. He's turning old.

In the last few days, I started my pre-work training. I'm starting in the Roundhouse - the biggest alpine restaurant in the world. It is pretty damn big. After that, I'll be moving to Harmony Hut, which is considerably smaller (total workforce - 4 people), but has the nice advantage of sitting at around about the highest skiable area of Whistler.

The last few days have also seen the weather cool down, and everything get covered in a beautiful coating of white snow. Yesterday, I got into a small snowball fight for around an hour before making possibly the worlds worst snowman. We're all pretty stoked that its finally come in.

And after weeks of waiting, Whistler Mountain opens tomorrow (Blackcomb next week). Unfortunately, I'll be working on Friday, as well as over the weekend. Bron desn't start her mountain work until the end of the month, so she has the chance to hit it hard! As the mountain has come closer to opening, the place has been filling up with staff, and getting pretty busy. Once again, Australians are the dominant group (along with Poms and Kiwis) - however this might be changing, with visa rules changing for Australians to become more in line with the rest of world. So if you are looking to come to work in Canada - don't delay!

Tags: snow, whistler

 

About elis82

Nacula Island Folks

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.