Existing Member?

look out world here we come Here there everywhere wherever we shall roam you can join us.

EGYPT

EGYPT | Sunday, 15 March 2009 | Views [639]

After a stop over in Amman we arrived in Cairo to a noise level that was a shock to the ear drums.17 million people in Cairo whom all appear to be on the road today tooting their car horns.It was something I had never seen or heard before but of course for Peter it felt like just another overseas work day!! At times we were only centimetres from the other cars but I will say the drivers were very confident and just kept tooting their horn. None of the cars appear road worthy with side mirrors either closed ,hanging off or just not there !Shock absorbers and gear boxes unheard of. Main thing is we always arrived safely at our destination.Not to mention what an experience.

Hotel Pharaoh is in the Giza area and we booked it for the fact it was one of the few with a pool for us to enjoy our last few days of the trip.Of course the pool was not in use just full of dirt and debris.After a quite word to management we woke up to find the pool full and the pool area all re painted.They must have worked all through the night...see photos.

Here we found everyone wants to be your driver and guide..for a cost..but all very friendly and not to mention those limousines!!

Our driver Ramadan took us through all the back streets of Cairo on the way to the Pyramids stopping along the way at an art bazaar.Here we were shown how the make Papyrus paper http://www.mnsu.edu/emuseum/prehistory/egypt/dailylife/papyrus.html it was really interesting and we did buy a picture to remember our stay.

We arrived at the Pyramids only to discover we were booked onto the horseback ride tour....fine with me having had my own horse albeit a long time ago..Peter on the other hand looked quite gray a the thought but said ok lets do it.Our horse were pretty docile and we were sure weren't going to take off across the Sahara desert with us hanging on for our lives.

We climbed up and over many sand dunes all the while taking in the beautiful vista of the magnificent Pyramids.The sky was the most incredible blue and the Pyramids just so surreal in the foreground. My only disappointment was that I was unable to actually stand in front of the Sphinx where my father had stood over 60 years ago..my parents were in the Army and were actually married in Egypt nearly 61 years ago. Today of course they have it roped off for protection.

There is still a lot of excavation going on and they have found so many different things including a cedar boat which is believed to have been buried to see the King on his journey to the Sun God Ra in the other world.

We were sorry when the two hours came to and end as we made our way back down the dunes.We were then taken to a perfume shop and told the history of the Lotus Flower which they us for perfume. http://www.shopategypt.com/Egyptian_lotus_flower.htm

Another night we did a Nile rive dinner cruise which was fantastic with great entertainment but the one I enjoyed better than the Belly Dance was the man who did the Whirling Dervish dance..it was amazing.http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/dervish.htm 

Although Cairo is very dirty and most of the population appear to live in poverty they are very eager to welcome you and are really friendly.

Well folks we have now come to the end of this amazing journey and we have had a fantastic journey in which we are glad you were able to come along for the ride.It has been most enjoyable writing this journal knowing that you have enjoyed it by all your comments. Sorry the pictures took so long but they are there now only I do need to edit and say where and a what they are.

Signing off for the last time or until our next trip.!!!!!

Love Dianne and Peter

Home Wednesday 18th March 2009

 

 

Travel Answers about Egypt

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.