Existing Member?

the trip

Guatamala - floress

GUATEMALA | Saturday, 27 June 2009 | Views [720]

Got ripped off at the boarder exchanging money, nothing new, but on the flip side we knew they would try and con us trying to cross at boarder control, so when they asked us for 20 quetzales (about a quid 30 to me and you) we went on and on for a receipt until they gave in and told us to sod off. Tight gits you say?

It really seems to me that the further south we get the poorer people are. It was mainly dirt roads to Floress and animals are roaming the streets, dogs and cows etc... Tin houses and kids trying to flog us stuff, its pretty tough resisting, most times we cave in.

Guatamala has had its fair share of problems. Civil was wasn{t that long ago and its pretty corrupt. Its indiginous peoples are still badly treated and many were killed or vanished in the war. To top things off people from wealthyer nations come here and kidnap children. I was advised not to take any pictures of the kids because the locals get very suspicious, ONe japanese guy got lynched doing just that.

I{d say the nicest people i{ve met to date, interested, helpful and friendly, all these countrys have been shafted at one time or another by the richer countrys but they dont seem to be too bothered, or they{re just polite.

Floress was nice, Pat slept in a hammock and we chilled out, amazed at how cheap it is here.

We went to Tikal and saw some more mayan ruins also, very impressive, i love the mayan stuff.

On the road out of Floress the bus driver nearly killed us trying to over take a police car, oddly no one seemed to care, also the bus got ambushed by kids at every village, street food is recommended!

 

 

Travel Answers about Guatemala

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.