Existing Member?

Carry on Trekking

Football and Tango in Buenos Aires

ARGENTINA | Friday, 2 May 2008 | Views [747]

We've been hopping through Argentina and Uruguay since I last updated this so there's a lot to cover... so here goes.

Iguacu Falls, Argentina side - absolutely stunning and definitely a must see place. The speedboat ride is great, where your swimming stuff though as they take you under one of the falls. This is the most intense shower you'll ever have and it literally takes your breath away.

Argentinian Ranch - we rode like cowboys and Dave has developed a new passion (apparently we'll be riding at every opportunity and he wants to be an expert by the time we get back ;))

San Ignazio - we were dumped at the edge of a village by the bus and hitched a ride on a flatbed truck instead of walking, hanging on tight and laughing as the few people we passed in this one horse town stared in bemusement at the gringos.

Salto - after a day spent lazing around the lovely hot pools (39 degrees), we were caught in a freak storm at the bus stop. With hail the size of conkers we were clinging together with the local women, hoping around to try and avoid the stinging stones. It was a very bedraggled group who made it back to the hotel.

Montevideo - a very Italian feeling city that we explored in a day

Colonia - a day to relax and wander through the pretty streets, the temperature had started to drop now, well it is autumn and the leaves are falling off the leaves. We got to enjoy our last Uruguayan chivito today - a wonderful invention steak, lettuce, tomato, cheese, fried egg and ham between two slices of bread - it definetly got our seal of approval!

Buenos Aires - we took the boat yesterday leaving Uruguay behind, and experienced the usual trepidation of where they'd stamp the passport - these officials like using clean pages which need to be preserved for visas even when there's room on other pages!

On arrival to the hotel we had to make an instant decision of whether to go see Boca Juniors play in the Copa de Liberatores and a Tango show - only chance for these ones that very day. So we blew the daily budget and did both - after an 'Amazing Race' style quest to find coats (is starting to be a bit nippier now). The Boca match was fantastic - we were in the terraces (still standing here with fencing and barbed wire - felt like going back in time) and opposite the Boca 'Kop'. The singing and dancing went on all match, for one song everyone was jumping and you could feel the stand vibrate... Boca won 2-1 v Cruzeiros (a Brazilian side) totally dominating the game playing really skilful football but they desperately needed some decent strikers (feels slightly familiar for us both!)The end of the match seemed slightly confused - watching the news later we found out that someone from the posh seats had hit the linesman with a missile and the ref had finished the match 1 minute early. Missed the detail of that drama though.

Then a dash to change and head off to the tango. The dancers were truly fantastic, the women seemed weightless the way they were thrown around by the men and how they don't kick and hit each other is something to be seen (their timing is so impeccable) - even Dave enjoyed it, which is a first for dancing. They mixed it up with instrumental pieces (great) and some Tango singers. The guy was incredibly cheesy and was covered in bling - we found ourselves counting the jewellry - and had to cange outfil and matching shoes for every appearance. This with the fantastic food and wine made for one great day.

We're now in a hostel and planning our next move - we're thinking of a nightbus to Mendoza, wine country (no-ones exactly surprised are they?!)

Sarah

x

 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.