Existing Member?

dannygoesdiving This is a blog & photo journal of the trips that I (Danny) and Jo (wifey) have taken over the past few years.

A day trip to Middle Caicos

TURKS & CAICOS ISLANDS | Monday, 25 June 2007 | Views [812]

So, we boldly decided to leave the island - myself, Eric and Liz.  Once aboard the worlds smallest plane, the elastic band was wound up, we were pointed in the right direction and off we went.  The flight was spectacular, with great views of the reefs and other islands, however, a mere 15 minutes later we landed on the 'runway'.

The car arrived a few minutes later (we saw less than 5 all day) and we headed off with no map and high spirits.  We found our way to Mudjin harbour, a beautifully secluded causeway and 'bar' of sand.  Then off to the caves - the largest system in the Caribbean with over 25 miles of underground passageways and chambers.  Fully equiped with sandals, one torch each and no water, we headed into the caves and spent several hours wandering through the systems, past hugh stalagtites and mites, over natural bridges spanning water and through chambers which housed many many bats.  Several hours later we emerged to sunlight and set off to view the rest of the island.  Middle Caiocs is the largest island in the chain, but has a population of 270 people spread over 3 communities - so the exploring did not take long.  A trip to the secluded and spectacular Bambarra beach completed, we found the only bar on the island and toasted our success over several Presidentes (beer).  Back to the terminal/waiting lounge/bar/reataurant/locals hangout, where we waited for our flighing chariott to take us back to civilisation. 

Tags: Sightseeing

 

About dannygoesdiving


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Turks & Caicos Islands

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.