Existing Member?

dannygoesdiving This is a blog & photo journal of the trips that I (Danny) and Jo (wifey) have taken over the past few years.

Giz & Lidia visit the TCI

TURKS & CAICOS ISLANDS | Thursday, 19 November 2009 | Views [829]

A great mate

A great mate

Giz is one of my best mates and in many ways was responsibe for me upping roots, when more or less out of the blue he sold up and moved to Spain.  Since he left the UK, we had attempted to meet up once a year, it was usually me visiting him in Spain, although in 2008 we met up for a few days in Cuba.

Finally he & Lidia were coming to visit us in the TCI. After not having seen each other for about 18 months, combined with them having taken the plunge (excuse the pun) and finally learnt to dive whilst in Spain, it was a much anticipated  2 week visit.

Giz & Lidia arrived on the same day as the Islands annual Conch Festival, I had never managed to get to go previously, so having got the day off it was a perfect opportunity.  Once unpacked we headed off and endulged in a wide variety of Conch dishes (cracked, fritters, chowder, pate, salad etc etc), certainly enough to cover anyones conch cravings.  We enjoyed Corona and rum whilst watching some of the islands traditional music, the Haitian marching band and the hilarious conch blowing competition !!!  The festival went on into the early hours, including a junkanoo, however, jetlag was setting in so we called it an early day.

The main activity over the following couple of weeks was scuba diving and it was a real thrill to be able to take my two friends diving along the impressive walls of the TCI.  Prior to this their diving had been limited to local diving in Northern Spain, so it was great for them to be able to dive in warm waters, with very different topography and so much marine life. In 14 dives they saw about 15 sharks (reef, nurse and lemon), as well as turtles, rays and much, much more - we even managed to completed their Advanced Open Water course.

When not diving we visited the flamingos (Blue Hills), snorkelled at Smiths Reef and spent a great day out on a skiff travelling along some of the many beautiful Cays - we wandered around Little Water Cay where we saw Mangrove jellyfish, Iguanas and Pelicans.  We ate lunch in a secluded bay at Pine Cay, snorkelling a nearby wreck and finlly wandered the deserted beaches of Fort George Cay.

We ate out at all my favourites - the Conch Shack which I think has the best location on the island (great cracked conch & Conch fritters); Mango Reef (lobster curry); Sharkbite (Grouper Fish & Chips); the Saltmills Diner (pie friday - Steak and Kidney) and Hole in the Wall (jerk chicken, peas & rice).

We spent a great evening out at the TCI bi-annual Panto, with Jo as star of the show as the 'Wicked witch of West Caicos'

Most evenings were spent chilling on the balcony and none eclipsed our 4 course BBQ night - freshly caught lobstertails, Ribs, Asparagas & NY steak, all washed down with lashings of red wine.

All in all it rates as one of the best 2 weeks I've had on the island, we packed in so much, ate so so well and best of all shared it with two amazing friends. 

The only downside was how quickly it went :(

Already looking forward to our next get together, wherever and whenever it my be :)

About dannygoesdiving


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Turks & Caicos Islands

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.