Existing Member?

dannygoesdiving This is a blog & photo journal of the trips that I (Danny) and Jo (wifey) have taken over the past few years.

Orlando - The good, bad & embarrasing

USA | Tuesday, 10 November 2009 | Views [500]

Universal Studios entrance

Universal Studios entrance

The DEMA show runs each year, alternating between Vegas and Orlando – this year was the Orlando show.  The show runs for 4 days (10am – 6pm) and I had wangled an extra day after the show to go to Universal Studios and Island of Adventure (rollercoaster junky).

Read on for the abbreviated highs and the lows of 5 days in Orlando.

The Good:

How friendly  Americans are.

Not wondering how much its costing to run the air conditioning.

Walgreens – for stocking up on toiletries that don’t cost a days pay.

An Indian Curry  - Poppadoms, Madras & Kingfisher Lager.

Dennys  ‘All American Slam’ breakfast (especially the hash browns).

Big Macs.

Guiness – properly poured and served in an imperial pint.

Margaritas at ‘Margaritaville’ (without salt).

An amazing live band at a local bar that also served Kronenbourg – my first pint of it in 4 years.

No queues of longer than 5 minutes throughout the whole day at Universal Studios & Islands of Adventure.

Universal Studios attractions – ‘The Simpsons’ (simulator) & ’ Rip ride Rock-It’ (newest rollercoaster).

Islands of Adventure attractions  ‘The Incredible Hulk’  coaster (went on it 3 times),  ‘Spiderman’  &   ‘Dueling Dragons ’.

 The Bad:

Standing at the stand at DEMA for 8 hours a day.

Hangover after a night of mixing Corona, Guiness, Margaritas and some sort of Italian beer.

Universal Studios attraction  ‘Men in Black’.

A British family smoking in a bar,  complete with a toddler in a pushchair.

Lots of Brits wearing shoes with socks and sporting albino legs.

The amount of places catering to the Brits so that they can leave home without having to leave home.

A British style pub offering ‘real chips’.

  

& The Embarrasing:

A British women opening her purse and asking a waitress to take out the coins she needed, saying ‘I’ve only been here a week so I don’t really understand the coins’.

A British family, complete with father in union jack shorts crossing the road to head for the café that was offering a   ‘traditional British breakfast’

About dannygoesdiving


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.