Existing Member?

Roon the Globe Nadia's trip around the world in 365 days :)

The Last Leg - Byron Bay to Sydney

AUSTRALIA | Thursday, 23 December 2010 | Views [357] | Comments [1]

I probably should have updated this a few days ago cos i have pretty much forgotten alot about Byron Bay even though it was only a week ago!

One of my favourite places as it was so chilled out, a bit of a hippy town and a beautiful beach. I was staying at a unique hostel called the Arts Factory where i was sleeping in a big tent called The Wagon, but they had teepees aswell as a cinema, recording studio etc. So it was full of creative, airy fairy type people but to be honest i hardly spent any time there cos my pals were staying at another hostel down next to the beach.

There's not much to tell about Byron i guess, it's quite a small town with loads of nice little quirky shops selling jewellery and boutique style clothes. I ended up spending 3 days just chilling out, sometimes at the beach or else with a book at the pool cos the weather was quite changeable. At night it was great, we just bought some beer and went down to the beach for some banter and even had a singalong one night cos someone had a guitar. I actually ended up falling asleep on the beach both nights cos i was so tired haha which meant my bed in the hostel had about a bucket of sand in it the whole time i was there..not good!

On the last day i had to hang around quite a bit as i was getting the night bus to Sydney at 9pm..had a nice chilled day again and had some food down by the beach.

I realise this is probably the most boring blog i've ever written so i'm going to stop talking about Byron now :)

 

I arrive in Sydney on Sunday morning after a surprisingly ok 14 hour bus journey. We drove over the Harbour bridge to get into the city centre and it was amazing getting the first views of the Opera House and the skyline. It's one of the biggest places i've been yet i think, and i'm quite lucky cos my bus dropped me off 5 mins from the hostel - perfect! I don;t know where i got the energy but ended up going straight to Bondi Beach with a girl i'd met in my hostel in Byron and we had a float around one of the markets - which was so ridiculously expensive!

I had an early night so i could get up and do the free walking tour ran by our hostel on the Monday morning. It was quite tiring as we were on our feet for 5 hours, but it was a great way to see the city and the main sights without struggling with maps and bearings. I had a well earned drink that night but quite sensible as i had lined up an interview for the next morning which turned out to be the biggest waste of my time ever.

I wanted to try and get some extra cash as there's no way i can get a proper job before New Year so thought i'd try doing some promo work for Space Ibiza who have an event on New Year's Day. It was a load of shite, you only got $10 per ticket that you could sell to random people on the beach etc so i decided to give that a miss and went to Bondi to meet up with my friends instead.

Yesterday (Wed) i went across on the ferry to Manly to meet Lisa from back home (who i know from Groove Theory nights). It was absolutely lovely over there and she is staying in a really nice apartment looking over the sea. We had a nice walk and chilled on the beach for a bit as it was such a sunny day :) and afterwards her landlord made us spaghetti bolognese and had a champagne on the balcony with an amazing view - i did not feel like a backpacker at all!

 

Anyway today is my catch up day (Thurs) cos i was desperately needing to do laundry and i now need to get something nice to wear over Christmas and New Year as i've been invited to a couple of things which i'll no doubt talk about more in my next blog..

Comments

1

Love the sound of byron bay, wish I could snap my fingers and be there now rather than face stressed shoppers lol! xxxxx

  Rosemary Dec 23, 2010 9:34 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.