Existing Member?

Roon the Globe Nadia's trip around the world in 365 days :)

Singapore please take the giant pole..

SINGAPORE | Monday, 18 October 2010 | Views [432] | Comments [1]

...out of your arse and lighten up a little bit.

That's my general opinion anyway! I've only been here for a couple of days but i'm totally bored and unimpressed with the fact the place is so clean and straightlaced. I'm not saying it's a rubbish place to visit as it's action packed and plenty to do but it's mainly for those who like to shop, go to theme parks and eat in swanky restaurants.

Even Chinatown where i'm staying has been regenerated which totally takes away from the market-feel of it. The only place which i've visited that has any character is Little India which felt like stepping into another country and was filled with amazing smells of spices.

Anyway enough of the rant as yesterday i actually had a really good day which started off with getting my new camera which is a Nikon D3100 for those who care (it takes HD videos too!). I bought it from the techy shopping centre Sim Lim Square which is renowned for being cut throat and you can't go unless you've done your research. I managed to haggle with the guy to get a good bit off the UK price, then stupidly fell for buying a wide eye/macro lense which wasn't really worth what i paid but all in all i got everything for less than i would have at home so it's all good! The best part was being able to test it out at the Singapore Zoo that afternoon!

Singapore Zoo is probably the best zoo i've ever been too in the World and the highlight for me was definitely the baboon area where you could sit behind glass and it felt like you were in the enclosure with them. They basically just sit and pick insects off each other's hair but it's quite funny to watch! Also amazing were the free-ranging orangutans which had a big section of trees and ropes where they played right above your head, with no nets!  They had all the other animals you would expect - lions, elephants, white tigers, penguins, walrus, lots of primates, zebras, giraffes and it was all set out by which continent they came from. After spending all afternoon at the zoo i walked across the road to the Night Safari which opened at 7pm and here you had to take a tram round the park as it's pretty dangerous to walk round yourself as it's so dark. This was a welcomed rest after being on my feet all day and again i seen some amazing animals which are noctural so tend to be more active at night. We seen tigers, hippopotamus, hyenas, many deer species, elephants and loads more i can't remember as i couldn't take photographs :( If anyone comes here i would encourage you to visit..and in particular the night safari was great and like nothing i've ever done before.

Today i decided to check out Sentosa Island and was thoroughly disappointed! It's just south of Singapore and you can get a train over in 5-10mins so I went to Siloso beach first and had a little picnic which i bought from the supermarket after being ripped off yesterday for food n drink. There are a few bars and restaurants along the beach like Cafe Del Mar so i imagine the place comes to life at night but only for the rich folk. I then got the tram along to the next beach where they have a rope bridge which takes you across to the most Southern point of Continental Asia. This is totally unpromoted since it's a free activity and they really just want people paying to visit the theme parks on the island, i managed to spot it on the map by chance and it was actually the best part about the day! You can climb up one of two towers and look out to sea or back onto the island for some great views. I had planned to look around the other parts of the island but was a bit scunnered by that point and i think the rest is just theme parks and golf courses anyway..

I'm now back at the hostel chilling a little as i'm heading to the National museum later today which is free after 6pm (backpackers always find a cheap way!) and i'll probably have a nosy around one of the quays which are meant to have good bars and restaurants..we'll see!

So Singapore, not a bad place but it's just not really for me..too perfect, too fake, too clean, too Americanised.

Next blog will be from Cairns!

 

Comments

1

Your camera sounds swish!! Love the sound of the night zoo, amazing! You sound ready to take on Oz now!! xxxxx

  rosemary Oct 19, 2010 3:31 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Singapore

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.