Existing Member?

Roon the Globe Nadia's trip around the world in 365 days :)

En Route to Chiang Mai

THAILAND | Tuesday, 7 September 2010 | Views [443] | Comments [3]

Been a bit slow on the update since i had no wifi for 14 hours unfortunately! But i have arrived in Chaing Mai after a fun journey on the sleeper train from Bangkok. I'll be honest i was a bit apprehensive about who i was going to be sleeping next to in 2nd class(some smelly, sleazy old man) but ended up next to a nice wee group of 3 from China who were away for 2 weeks holiday and couldn't believe i had packed in my job to go travelling. It seems they are a bit like US where people wouldn't take the risk of leaving a job!

I actually had the best sleep so far in my trip in the top bunk which was so cosy and comfortable (and i didn't roll out!!) then woke up at 7am and watched the scenery which was alot greener than Bangkok. I liked it already!

My hostel was only 10 mins by tuk-tuk so i arrived and thought i'd walked into a 5 star hotel (slight exaggeration). It only cost me 7.50 a night, ok i am sharing with one other person but there's a pool and very clean outdoor toilets and showers! I spent the morning at the pool (only about 3 other people arrived there after me) then had lunch at a wee cafe down the road. I was going to venture into the city as my hostel is a bit further out but felt too hot so just chilled in my room for a bit.

My room-mate then came back, a girl from the US and we decided to head into the town to have a look around the night markets. It was pretty massive, so much to take in along two long streets and various side streets. I ended up buying new sunnies as mines must have broken at some point which i was gutted about but i replaced them with some new 'Ray Bans' for just 2 squid - my first haggle as they were originally 4! We then had some beef noodles then took a tuk-tuk back to our street and ended up in an ice cream parlour which was amazing!! (mint choc chip of course!)

I'm now just relaxing and having an early-ish night since it's an early start tomorrow..going to do a Thai cookery course for the day so i'm sure i'll have an update on that!

Comments

1

Your hostel looks brilliant, your wee fish flipflops are funny.
Will show the weans the nature photos, cute elephant.
Enjoy the cookery course, you can take over from Glov as the thai curry expert when you get back. XXX.

  Auntie Claire Sep 7, 2010 2:34 AM

2

Weldone Nad, keep enjoying yourself, see you soon.

  Dad Sep 7, 2010 3:40 AM

3

Lovin' the wildlife pics!! Hotel looks lovely!!

xx

  Laura Sep 7, 2010 7:18 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.