Existing Member?

Roon the Globe Nadia's trip around the world in 365 days :)

Bangkok: No such thing as A to B

THAILAND | Saturday, 4 September 2010 | Views [455] | Comments [2]

So today was a bit of a right-off cos i ended up going out last night and hit the dancefloor til the early hours! It was a cool club with Moroccan decor and shisha pipes so i was right at home there. Met some people who are in Bangkok for different reasons but all very cool and down to earth people so it was fun. I'm still a bit scared to over-do the vodka though, as it's pretty strong!

I woke up around 11.30 and my mission of the day was to buy a train ticket. Should be really straight forward but i'm staying about 1 hours walk away from the main train station (which is impossible in the heat) so i thought i'd try taking the river boat then walk there. That was alot of fun, so cheap and like a boat ride in itself for only 50p! I then thought i could walk to the train station (Google Maps says 22mins hmmmmm) but then soon realised i had no idea which direction i was going in and started to panic so jumped in a tuk-tuk! I always wanted to try one of them anyway so it was the perfect opportunity, except the wee guy tried to con me into booking my ticket at his mates travel agency. I had been warned about this thankfully so i just crossed over to the train station and bought it myself easy peasy!

Next i took a taxi to the MBK shopping centre in the Siam District. It's a 7 floor mall with everything you could imagine and has maybe 2,000 stores. All the youngsters hang around here so i ended up grabbing a pomegranite milkshake in a wee canteen and just people watched. There were some young people cutting about dressed in crazy costumes and they looked like anime cartoon characters - very bizarre and i'm not sure why they were doing this!!

Despite the thousands of shops, i left MBK empty handed as i was overwhelmed by the size of the place. I contemplated a taxi home but then thought i would try riding the Sky Train which would take me back to the river to catch another boat home. It was only about 60 pence for the 15mins ride and well worth it cos the air-con was amazing!! I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing as when the doors open you feel like you're walking into an oven!

Made it back onto the River Boat and got off a stop early to try and take photos of the Grand Palace. I failed, as it had already closed but maybe next time! I just decided to head home, but it's funny as i knew exactly which direction i needed to go in but in front of me was the biggest road junction i've ever seen and traffic EVERYWHERE going in every direction. I was going to attempt crossing about 6 roads one at a time but then thought - naaaaah bad idea and done a longer detour which was ok!

Anyway i better go try and book a hostel for my next destination, Chaing Mai, where i'm heading on the sleeper train for another adventure.

Tags: bangkok, mbk, siam square, skytrain, tuk-tuk

Comments

1

Well done you hitting the Dancefloor! sounds fab!!!!! bet it aint a patch on cheers hahaha!!!!! no get yourself a wee winch there?haha

sounds like you having such a good time and you sound so independant!when are you going to your next destination?xxx

  Cat Sep 4, 2010 11:04 PM

2

Hey Cat,

i had met a girl in my hostel last night so ended up going with her and a bunch of other people. Didn't quite just walk into a club by myself, not yet haha! Wish you's were here for a night out man, such funny sights. Like a guy who looked about 70 cutting shapes on the dancefloor, with a big beard - he looked like a wizard loL!

I'm leaving Bangkok tomorrow night, kinda had enough of it anyway. I'm not a fan of walking round massive cities in this heat, i'd much rather chill at the beach but i guess i need to get over it!
xx

  Nadia Sep 5, 2010 12:23 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.