Existing Member?

asia-ash

The rest of Laos

LAOS | Wednesday, 9 April 2008 | Views [587] | Comments [2]

Because I am so far behind, I will sum up the rest of our time in Laos in this one blog.  

After Hauy Xai we headed to Luang Nam Tha.  We didn't much like Hauy Xai the town in itself.  Luang Nam Tha seemed quite small but we liked it.  We found a really great place to stay.  We hired a moto one day and crusied around finding adventures for ourselves.  We went to this boat house place for lunch and it had really great Lao food.  Tried to find a village that makes bamboo paper but couldn't. 

Another day there we did a kayaking day trip.  It was really fun.  They had some small rapids and that was the best bit.  Along the way we also stopped in to two villages and met some ladies from the Lantern tribe (including the cheifs wife).  Also went to a Khmu village. 

After Luang Nam Tha we headed north east to Nong Kiaw.  It was a really beautiful town surrounded by mountains and limestone krasts.  We hired push bikes here and once again did our own exploring.  We checked out some caves and rode through some small villages until the heat got us and we headed home.  We stayed there a couple of days in some really nice bungalows.  We then got a boat an hour up river to a town that could only be reached by boat as there are no roads to it and it is also surrounded by mountains.  So it sounded pretty unreal. And we had met so many people that said it was great.  We were disappointed with it and didn't really enjoy it.  We thought Nong Kiaw was much nicer. 

It may have been more enjoyable if it hadn't been to hot to do a trek or something.

Anyway we are now back in Luang Prabang and have been for a couple of days.  We leave on a sleeper bus tonight for China.  We wrote ourselves off last night for our last night in Laos.  We were ridiculously drunk and are surely paying for it today.  Especially since we have had to check out of our accommodation and basically have no where to go until 9pm.  Warning Beer Bomb Buckets are alot stronger than they seem. 

Comments

1

Can't believe what you two have been doing! We assume the cables are flying foxes which Harvey thinks sounds awesome and i think sound terrifying. How scarey staying in a treehouse in a thunderstorm - crazy. Hope you have a great birthday on the 11th Matt. Sounds like you have had a few cellebration nights already. We are haveing a party here for your birthday with Mum and Lucy and Ryan. Make sure you get the proper eyedrops for your iritis Asher - very important! Love to you both. Look forward to hearing about China.

  Harvey and Debbie Apr 10, 2008 6:23 PM

2

So how's China going? Have you seen the doctor yet?

  Danielle Apr 16, 2008 4:28 PM

About da_misfit


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Laos

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.