Existing Member?

crustyadventures Random travel thoughts from WorldNomad's Community Manager

Cambodia: Bonkers

CAMBODIA | Monday, 14 February 2005 | Views [1061]

The world has been filled with the chaotic sights, smells, sounds and tastes (especially tastes!) of Cambodia. The initial rush of landing in a dusty, colourful country has passed now and I can cross the road confidently as a million motorbikes speed past…

... and more than a handful of enormous Toyota LandCruisers. As if they weren’t hugely inappropriate for Sydney’s busy streets with small children around; here there’s 1000’s more yong tackers, all using the streets as a playground, classroom and office. Yep, earning a buck as soon as they can say ‘madam, you buy my water?’. Let’s hope that all these LandCruiser’s at least get out of the cities and onto some of the bumpiest roads in Asia once off the beaten track.

Surprisingly, many of the roads are paved – at least in a stripe down the centre, fighting constantly with the dusty edges that continually threaten to eat the road back up and return it to the land. It’s nearing the end of the dry season, ponds are dry and leaves crunchy and brown litter the ground everywhere. Women covered up from the sun, heat and dust in colourful headscarves, sweep the leaves into piles along the roadsides.

Heat wise, I find that my white skin (and I really mean ‘white’!) copes ok with the sunshine. There’s no hole over the Ozone like I’m used to, so I’ve escaped any sunburn so far. The mornings and afternoons are better suited to maintaining a ladylike complexion though; what do they say about women perspiring and horses sweating…? At midday, I must look much more equine than I’d like :-/

I’ll save tales of Angkor Wat for another post. The convergence of Chinese New Year and visting the largest religious structure in SE Asia is taking a while to distill. Wowee, people galore!

Signing off for now… I feel a cocktail on the balcony of the Phnom Penh Foreign Correspondents CLub coming on. xox

Tags: On the Road

 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.