Existing Member?

crustyadventures Random travel thoughts from WorldNomad's Community Manager

Market Yum-Yums

CAMBODIA | Tuesday, 15 February 2005 | Views [2170]

It’s inevitable that one of my travel obsessions to make it in words in going to be food. Cambodia does not disappoint on this front and i’ll need to upload some photos to bring all the colour to life. This is just a small snippet from a market foray this morning…

I’ve never been one to shy away from a roadside stall selling interesting local delights. Thanks to a cast iron constitution, I generally find that as long as it’s freshly cooked, I can eat almost anywhere without fear. The last time I had the squits (as STC calls them), was after an extravagant and rich French meal in Sydney where I was way too indulgent with the butter and cream overload.

Breakfast this morning was far from rich… we wandered into the Russian Market in Phnom Penh and plonked ourselves down at a table. The girls in the kitchen were giggling a bit at me and pointing at their faces. Yep, it’s not the first time that my freckles have been a source of great amusement. I pointed back – but this time at the steaming cauldrons of broth and rice noodles and held up two fingers. Ah ha, a moment of understanding…

Two bowls arrive heaped with noodles, a few bits of meat (I can’t be sure exactly of the type!), coriander and finely chopped spring onions. Beside that, more little bowls with stuff to sprinkle – bean sprouts, chilli pastes and a wedge of lime to set off the salty soup.

This is my idea of a really good time.

Tags: food

 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.