Existing Member?

ONE FLU OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST Just another Corona jab.

LONDON CALLING 4

UNITED KINGDOM | Monday, 20 December 2010 | Views [626] | Comments [4]

30th November, 2010

I'd had a wine.

Apparently I failed to mention, in the last blog, the name of the piece in which I'm currently appearing. It's The Invisible Man, based on the HG Wells novel. There are a number of illusions in the show (Invisible Man drinks milk, Invisible Man opens drawers, Invisible Man holds knife at throat of innkeeper, Invisible Man does tax return quickly and easily, etc), all created and taught to us by a certain member of the Magic Circle Club. We have even signed a contract to swear we will not divulge the logic underlying the visual effects to outsiders. You are an outsider. If we do, we are forced to join Grease for 12 months at The Piccadilly Theatre.

Anyhoo, during one illusion, without giving too much away (shoo bop shoo wadda wadda yipitty boom de boom, a wop ba-ba lu-mop, a wop bam boom), I appear naked, facing upstage. I just heard your eyebrows go up. During technical rehearsals, one of our young crew stood in for me, shirtless, not knowing I had arrived. He is 19 and thin as a Jenny Craig whippet. His name, Pele. I asked out loud: “Could Pele adopt some of my back-fat between now and press night?” John Gordon Sinclair, our titular Invisible Man responds in his natural Sean Connery brogue: “It's un illusion, no' a focking miracle.”

I like John.

Many of you may remember John from the hit 80s film Gregory's Girl. He was Gregory. I have downloaded it through a torrent and will, of course, be pointing out to John that he won't be getting any financial recompense from this viewer.

18th December, 2010

Several weeks later...

It's snowing. 'Ah!' you think. Unless you've lived in London. Then you will be thinking 'yikes apocalypse'. Four snowflakes bring London to its knees. Then it just kind of belly-flops face down moaning 'I give in' over and over and generally behaving like a backpacker in an Eli Roth film set in the packing house district of an Eastern European country surrounded by rusty power tools. Sure enough, I'm typing this at 6.14pm on a Saturday evening. Surely I should be at the theatre, between the matinee and the evening shows of The Invisible Man, eating something cheap and pre-packaged from the Marks and Spencer's food emporium? But no. I did make it into the theatre, but several of my fellow actors did not. If the local trains had skirts, they would lift them and scream like Bugs Bunny in drag at the sight of this fluffy white stuff that falls from the sky. As my cast-mate, Natalie, pointed out a couple of weeks ago in similar circumstances and in a northern accent: “We can put a man on the moon, but get a train through a bit of hard water between Crystal Palace and London Bridge? (Raise hands, palms out.) That's all I'm saying...”

I like Natalie. She also has some wicked coats.

Before leaving to return home (via strange and odd ways because my usual train had fainted), our producer produced low and stern mutterings to the effect that the show will go ahead tomorrow come hell or high water. Both these situations London can deal with. We have Oxford Street in tourist season and the Thames Flood Barrier. Unfortunately he forgot to include temporarily solidified water crystals in his brave speech, and just quietly I'm looking forward to another day off.

In other news there is barely no other news. The show has taken up much up my life. It's one of the trickiest bastards with which I've ever been involved. Somewhat akin to putting on Starlight Express in a caravan. Of course, after a few weeks it now runs as smoothly as a train on...hang on...bad simile...as smoothly as a well-oiled Samoan lashed to a... …anyway, it's going well. Reviews were good and houses are pretty much full.

So. Next up: Christmas. Or as I like to call it, Obligation Day.

Pass me the gift-wrapped communal spirit and don't spare the K-tel Christiness. On the nth day of Whatsit, my true love gave to me...a day off and a will to live. Silent night? Not if I can help it...

x

PS: This is Mildred. Another cat. She is a new flatmate.

Comments

1

dearest mik all the best for nutbag season. what is it? i don't know but big love for it xx

  cc Dec 21, 2010 11:02 AM

2

I like the look of that Mildred. Her lean tells me she's well yar .

  bryant gumbel Dec 22, 2010 6:38 PM

3

i think i love mildred x

  ju Dec 29, 2010 7:15 AM

4

With the dry irreverent wit (reminescent of my good friend sir mildred chaucer wilde pantaloons) of a true plumber of all things to do with moonships and invisible actors on trains... I bid you dear chap a most material free mass of christ and indeed a new year that is as poignant as it does also lack melancholy... a three legged snorp ate my jelly flarp.
Sing.

  spigot chumbawah dos Dec 30, 2010 9:35 AM

About countryboy

My Favourite Hat

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.