Existing Member?

ONE FLU OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST Just another Corona jab.

LONDON CALLING 3

UNITED KINGDOM | Monday, 8 November 2010 | Views [596] | Comments [6]

8th November 2010

Funny how we manifest things we imagine. Here's a nice example: in my last blog I wrote “I've been here two weeks and two days and for some bizarre reason I'm not yet working on the West End in a marvellously witty comedy opposite Judi Dench and a tray of small cakes.” I'm now in a witty comedy, in which I eat - hold onto your hats - cake. Three pieces of it per show. It's all about the tea cups and the cake-eating in one particular scene. Dame Jude will be miffed not to have been involved come opening night, I'm sure of it. She and Maggie Smith will be straight onto their agents: "Why didn't I hear about the show with cake? Why?!" And no, it's not West End, it's Off West End - which basically means it's not West End - but the truly excellent glamorous part, as always, is this: I'm gettin' paid.

We begin technical rehearsals tomorrow and do our first preview this Saturday. We still have many...many...bits if illusion to incorporate into an already busy little show, and I personally am involved in some pretty fiddly business that I look forward to cocking up mightily before getting it right. I refer, of course, to my four accents. Then there's the actual illusions. Bend me over and call me Shirley is all I can say at this point. Interesting days ahead.

You might also recall references to Dynasty. By mentioning it in the blog, I came over all nostalgic and have since been watching loads of old episodes. Here's my favourite line of dialogue so far: it's Blake Carrington – the dad – saying to his gay son, “It's a shame the American Psychiatric Association has decided that it's no longer a disease. That's too bad. I could have endowed a foundation. The Steven Carrington Institute for the Treatment and Study of Faggotry. Now if you'll excuse me, I've gotta go get married.”

Yowza. You're not going to hear that on Packed to the Rafters.

Mind you, for every jibe about being gay, Steven reminds his dad that he cosies up to Middle Eastern terrorists to get at their oil. This is 1981! And Fallon (faggot's sister) screws everything with a pulse and gets stoned at her dad's wedding, even pretending to roll a joint at the breakfast table the next morning whilst explaining she got a bit “drunk”. Blake just looks at her, shakes his head and smiles. “My crazy, wacky, fun-loving, whore daughter!” he seems to be thinking. Krystal, the new wife, keeps her facial reaction within Thunderbird limits, while Jeff, Fallon's soon-to-be fiancé, is the only one sitting there gob-smacked, barely able to breath as everyone else tucks into their half-grapefruit with a gold spoon. Effing brilliant.

But let us leave Denver, Colorado and 1981 and fly across time and time zones to London 2010, a mere twenty-nine years later. This little Steven Carrington has been very well-behaved and barely ventured forth into the London night. Okay, a couple of times. But sadly nothing of either a romantic or bromantic nature to share. Some of you will sigh with relief. Others will sag in disappointment. Though there is a handsome man working backstage on our show who I'm hoping has been an enormous disappointment to a very wealthy father...

I have left the house to see some shows. Love Never Dies, the Phantom of the Opera sequel: first half utterly brilliant, second half more Willoughby Musical society. But got a freebie, so happy days. Priscilla the Musical: F-A-B fab. And A Number: a little 50 minute Carol Churchill piece starring Timothy West and his son Samuel. About clones. And being a parent. Possibly interesting if you've procreated. I haven't. It wasn't.

And I'm now living in a place called Norwood. South Norwood to be precise. Who knew Norwood was so significant as to need compass points to delineate itself? On the way here in the cab (only yesterday) I seriously thought we might soon enter the Chunnel and I would have to brush up on my French conjunctives, so far did we travel. But now that I'm here I recall how nice the flat is, and I'm living with a girl. Emma, an old mate from A Few Good Men days. A clean, neat, unmessy, owns-more-than-two-plates-and-a-spoon girl! I am so happy. I like neat. I like clean. And her CD collection is wicked.

Took a turn around the environs earlier. Norwood's economy is built around fried chicken, Caribbean take-away, hair dressers and hardware stores. So I can eat some jerk chicken in the barber chair whilst picking out a colour to paint my hammer. Move over, St Tropez, you've got competition.

Next up, Mick manifests a film career out of absolutely nothing but chutzpah, curried goat and a lovely tap fitting...


Comments

1

The Power of the Universe is manifest in you Wise One. Reminds of a time I forgot not too long ago when a person I didn't know said absolutely nothing to me. Profound? It's not for me to say.

  Spigot Chumbawah Nov 9, 2010 8:05 AM

2

Ever the tickler of my fancy, Beckley x x

  George of the mountains Nov 9, 2010 1:35 PM

3

What sort of cake?

  D Anthony Nov 9, 2010 3:24 PM

4

We so miss your cakes. Mani-feast mate!
xx

  T el F Nov 10, 2010 5:07 PM

5

whats the show called and, as David asked, what sort of cake is it? details man, we want details...

  Wendy McDougall Nov 15, 2010 7:40 AM

6

I did in fact say something very similar the other day on the set of Packed To The Rafters....or did I just think it, while actually saying "i am a straight,white, middleclass woman, with very few real concerns"..anyway I did eat cake, quite needlessly, after a large lunch. x

  Kel of Woollalaaa Nov 25, 2010 7:06 PM

About countryboy

My Favourite Hat

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.