Existing Member?

ONE FLU OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST Just another Corona jab.

BECKLEY BLOGS AGAIN...

SINGAPORE | Tuesday, 7 September 2010 | Views [698] | Comments [11]

4/5th Sept 2010

Singapore Airport. 11.19pm local time but 1.19am as far as my Sydney arse is concerned. Back-Of-Seat Cinema has delivered two movies: Me and Orson Welles and Iron Man 2 – it was like watching the same film twice! Nothing to do now but sit here at Boarding Gate 23C in the middle of the Asian night and think of names for this new blog.

“London Calling” has a clear flavour of The Clash and a possible copyright infringement. “Back In The UK...KK” gives a nod to another popular British collective but skirts the need for a lawyer. “Return to Pick-a-Willy Circus” recalls yet another British institution (the utter brilliance of Benny Hill), skirts the need for taste, but sadly lacks the ring of fiction. Even from here I can hear the sighs of “bloody hell here we go again with the life-choice references” and I apologise. I did not mean to belittle your literary needs  so promptly. But come on. It rhymes with Piccadilly. It doesn't get much better than that. I was tempted to turn Leicester Square into Lesbian Square but ultimately lacked both the art and the FlyBys.

The temptation to explore this enormous airport taps me on the shoulder but I shrug like a teenage girl and pretend it didn't happen.

So if not here, where to explore? Perhaps the recent past...

My Australian Adventure 09/10 was, if viewed from a certain angle, a lengthy scene punctuated by disappearances. First and foremost, my mother's bladder. Many of you are aware of her surgical escapade, and I take my hat off to her for getting through it with her usual resilience. Like a confusing episode of Lost, it is something we in the family would all rather have missed. But she lives to wee another way. For this we are grateful...as well as impressed by the modern plumbing techniques of the medical fraternity. They think well outside the box and would reconstruct us to pee out our ears and breathe through our eyes if they thought it might help. For this I thank them and encourage them in their outlandish musings. For one day I may need to crap through my knees.

Other losses were my aunt's gall bladder (not something you expect at 92 years of age; "What?? Now??!"), my dear friend Julie's thyroid (look up Thyroid Storm and send her retroactive sympathy), my back tooth (its neighbour already gone; that area of my mouth is now entirely redneck until I get the partial denture), much-loved Gosford local Wilma Eagle who I'm sure went sliding into the other side with champagne glass in hand and show tune on lips (RIP Wilma), and last but by no means least my dear cat Motley. Thank you to Terry and Nicole and Sam, and then Wendy and Mark for taking such good care of her in my absence. She gave us all joy and I'm sure she healed us with her purring. Everything has its time - teeth, thyroids, bladders, cats, and us – and if this was my lesson in Australia....I fricking got it! OK!! So back off!

And time for a song...

Thank you Col Joye for that popular rendition of Oh Yeah Uh Huh. Always been a favourite of mine.

I think I'm already jet-lagged.

But yes, ten months in a leaky boat that seemed to be bobbing about the Bermuda Triangle what with all the random comings and goings minus the comings.

The leaky boat reference makes it sounds like there was nothing positive during the Aussie Adventure and of course there was. Many happy reunions over dinners and bottles of wine. To all who welcomed me and fed me and wined me and apricot chickened me, I say thank you. Darts, beers, bush walks, parties, birthdays...many many excellent memories I will now destroy and erase with English lager.

Kidding.

Tired.

Re-boarding...

Comments

1

a lot has gone but not your sense of humour.. thank bloody god..! You made me cry all over again with the photo of Motley... may she purr in heaven

xx

  wendy Sep 7, 2010 6:39 AM

2

I wouldn't get too excited Wendy, I'm betting references to 'ploughing', double entendres referencing 'root' vegatables and several homages to over rated cabaret acts (Julie Andrews, Liza Minelli, Judy Garland, Tony Blair). Still, I'll read it and scoff, as always. J

  porkchop Sep 7, 2010 7:25 AM

3

Until we see each other again my dear. Don't forget that monthly game of darts and think of Tumbi Umbi.

  Lianne Sep 7, 2010 7:49 AM

4

Was great to see you, fleeting but good. Good for the soul to have you at mine for dinner. Ohh, and you left your 'Tarte du citron' behind. I was beside myself.....with glee !!! Now there's two of me. Look forward to more of these 'boys own' stories.... Go well and be happy friend. You're in a 'Cheshire Cat' kinda place. Remember Motley's grin too. Enjoy. In London? I'm GREEN. x

  Phelan Sep 7, 2010 8:55 AM

5

the apricot chicken is always in the oven ... in anticipation. C x

  caro Sep 7, 2010 12:06 PM

6

God Speed my wanderlust friend. Back to Blighty where the beer is warm and the women are cold! Looking forward to reading your Alvin Purple type escapades. You are like the Gay Barry McKenzie, terrorizing the UK all over again. Disappointed that you passed through the Orient without so much as a pop in. But life is like that. Sorry to hear of all the losses. Take Care until we meet again!

  David Anthony Sep 7, 2010 1:52 PM

7

London is waiting

  BECC Sep 7, 2010 6:02 PM

8

yay!
boo!
b ox

  bryant gumbel Sep 7, 2010 7:28 PM

9

Mick ! very funny read pall Crapping through the knee's i love it !! cartman crapped through his mouth once (south park)
Great picture of Motley and you so cute little angel she was is what ever and fucken Devil R you !!
Sorry missed you at Hareport but the band had my attention at the time.
Rock on bro best of luck lots love Mark O'Hare xx

  Mark O'Hare Sep 7, 2010 8:33 PM

10

Right. So it's all about you is it? Typical. Not a single mention of my empathetic wallpaper staring and beige vibes during your initial escapades. Nor a single aside as to how I placed my Jupiterian Android Army of Cherry 2000's on pause fromn conquering this tiny little unfashionable planet so you could have a further shot at that dreary continent.
Oh well then. Guess I'll just park shopping trundlers for a living then.

  Roger Big Toe Grimsberg Sep 10, 2010 7:22 AM

11

Typical? Yes that could only be from RBT Grimsberg. Where is your compassion ? I must apologize for the Grimsberg, Mik. Ever since he realised he was a shopping trundler jockey he has been very reactionary. The beige meditation classes he was running proved to be a roaring unsuccess. Anyhoo ... All the best mate. I hope that you never need to hope.

  Yortnord the Indifferent Sep 10, 2010 7:27 AM

About countryboy

My Favourite Hat

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Singapore

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.