Existing Member?

ONE FLU OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST Just another Corona jab.

Tie Me Voulez Vous Down Sport 22 - The Final Chapter

AUSTRALIA | Friday, 18 December 2009 | Views [1190] | Comments [12]

    I DON’T WANNA STOP ACTING LIKE A TWENTY-TWO YEAR OLD!
    This is my entire, back pocket philosophy after a year on the road with a certain musical that uses the songs of ABBA. I don’t wanna drink less because it’s bad for my kidneys. I don’t wanna stop dancing like an idiot on tables at three in the morning, even when there’s a lot of people watching. (Especially if there’s a lot of people watching.) I don’t wanna stop having the occasional ciggy, or even the occasional joint if we’re having this conversation in Copenhagen. I don’t wanna stop flirting like a young heifer in a hayfield and taking a few bulls back home to my own paddock now and then. I don’t wanna stop doing everything I’ve been doing since I started enjoying doing it. I don’t wanna grow the fuck up. That’s what I don’t wanna do. I wanna act like Oliver Reed on the Michael Parkinson show when he was so pissed he could hardly grow his nails. I wanna hang out in strangers’ houses with fallen stars like in an old Norman Mailer novel. I wanna stumble past hotels at 5 in the morning before I realise this is where I live. I wanna tell younger actors what they should do, and for us all to be squiffy enough to think I might know what I’m talking about. I wanna laugh at lusty jokes about love and lovely jokes about unfortunate people’s genitalia and sad stories about broken hearts and no stories about your children…I know that’s harsh but you might as well talk to me about cars. I wanna not really know where I’m going to be in a few months and I wanna be certain that I’m not going to be where I thought I might be in a few days. (This does not include Death, in case You’re listening.) I wanna find a genie in a bottle and a fairy godmother behind my curtains and the fountain of youth in the door of my fridge and a guardian angel in my wallet. I don’t think any of this is too much to ask. I certainly, most definitely, absolutely, 100% do not want to start acting my age. Not at this late juncture. Who can make up those sort of laps?? Not I.
    I think I’ve made myself clear.
    But in case I haven’t, allow me to copy and paste this opening monologue from ‘Permanent Vacation’, the first film directed by Jim Jarmusch, which was shown on a loop on a wall in a gallery in a city called Vienna many, many months and rooms ago…

    …this is my story…or part of it.
    I don’t expect it to explain all that much. But what’s a story anyway except one of those connect-the-dots drawings that in the end forms a picture of something. That’s really all this is. That’s how things work for me. I go from this place, this person to that place or person. I mean, you know, doesn’t really make that much difference. I’ve known all different kinds of people. Hung out with them. Lived with them. Watched them act things out in their own little ways. And to me…to me those people I’ve known are like a series of rooms. Just like all the places where I’ve spent time. You walk in for the first time curious about this new room…lamp, TV, whatever…and then after a while, the newness is gone. Completely. And then there’s this kind of dread. Kind of creeping dread. You probably don’t even know what I’m talking about. But anyway…I guess the point of all this is that after a while something tells you…some voice speaks to you…and that’s it. Time to split. Go some place else. People are gonna be basically the same. Maybe use some different kind of refrigerator or toilet or something.  But this thing tells you, and you have to start The Drift. You may not even want to go, but things will inform you.  So here I am now in a place where I don’t even understand their language, but, you know, strangers are still always just strangers. And the story? This part of the story, well…it’s how I got from there to here, or maybe I should say from here to here…
    

     That’s a bit dour, and the young man talking clearly needs some mates, but that was my year and basically I’ve realised I’m a Gypsy Man-Child and that’s the tiny, strangley-shaped gap in the Universal Jigsaw I was sploinked into the cosmos to fill. So I shall keep doing it to the best of my ability. I’ve had some practice you know.

    So. That’s it. A year of a life. Hmmmm. Could have been worse…

     Hasta Mañana ’til… NEXT!

Comments

1

do you need a hug?

....and once you've had one of those you can go out in the backyard to play and I dont want to see you until its dinner time..

  wife #1 or is it #2? Dec 18, 2009 5:11 PM

2

bravo you. bravo your life xxx col

  colleen Dec 18, 2009 5:13 PM

3

with you 100%....and loving you long time xx

  shayne cassandra Dec 18, 2009 8:08 PM

4

i hear you are in Oz - please please please plesae please mister get in touch so i can come a visit and we can do all those things you dont want to grow too old to do!!!! coz i dont either adn you are so fun to be juvenile with!!!

  gemma Dec 18, 2009 8:31 PM

5

When next you are in Vegas (and you will be, you just don't know it yet) we will act like a pair of naughty children (as we do when ever we find ourselves in the same country) and I will be as giddy as a school girl as I always am with you. You have travelled many miles, done many interesting things and kept me highly amused in the process. Just some of the reasons I love you so much. To quote Peter Pan "We won't grow up!" Much love my world weary friend

  David Anthony Dec 18, 2009 8:44 PM

6

"i DEMAND to see you tomorrow!" he shouts hopefully

  Bryant Gumbel Dec 18, 2009 9:24 PM

7

You are a very naughty boy. You need to pull your socks up, comb your hair and start working in a bank. This has all been fun and games but fun and games didn't make our bleesed saint George Bush Jr President of the United States...There is an opening for trainee managers at a certain multi-national food corporation advertised in the paper...and with diligence you could own your own franchise in 12 years.'Think of that.
Now...eat your greens and go for a jog.

Lots of Love,
Mrs Magnussen.

  Mrs Magnussen Dec 19, 2009 7:22 AM

8

The secret to now growing up, as you now well know, is a combination of show tunes, sequinned lycra, and so-called intelligent lighting. Men dancing in wetsuits optional.

PS: Can I join David Anthony and You in Vegas? Please? I promise to not see Bette more than 6 times.

  Fyfe Dec 19, 2009 11:07 AM

9

Mr Beckles! Anna has informed you will be gracing the Doncaster Hotel with your sublime presence and tales of derring do tomorrow night. Sob! I wont be there. Too far to come just for a party and I am working. By the way Mik, you dont have to grow up. Some of us need to live vicariously through your inner Dorian Gray. But conversely, some of us ARE married with kids and still find time to have a fine old time and have a fabulous and exciting career to boot. So marriage isnt always the opposite to fun however......growing up and being responsible is vastly overrated! Welcome home.

  reg Dec 19, 2009 11:14 AM

10

Pussy cat, home is where you make it. Your adventures have been so much fun to read. I felt like I was in each of those places with you. Enjoy being in Aus... For now & as your quote suggested - just move on if & when you are ready and in the mean time Please indulge me by allowing me to add a quote that I heard years ago in the beer garden at the Florida Hotel... "hey, just rock out with your cock out." love jmo x

  Jmo Dec 19, 2009 11:23 PM

11

You're a prick and I am jealous ... in a good way of course. I should say, but you're my prick and I love you but indeed you are not mine - you are EVERYBODY'S and clearly you are quite willing to share. When you say your are 'home' are you meaning here in Sydney? If you are you must mean the Doncaster, here, in Sydney. Of course, because I'm one of those 'laden with children' types, I probably can't get there, mainly because I'm flying back to Perth tomorrow morning. You try packing for two kids and yourself, particularly when 'yourself' is a show that takes quite a bit to get on the road. But then, you don't want to hear about that. And I'm quite happy not to tell you. I do, on occasion, have many more things I could talk about. How long are you in Oz, because whether you're my prick or everybody's I love you and would love to see you, sans kids, over a drink or twenty. Hey, even a joynt, if you like (cause I do) LOVE Moni XXX

  Mons Dec 20, 2009 11:22 AM

12

my beautiful fun loving smudgy exacting old friend
you go for it!!!!!
& get your nasty arse back here to london where it belongs
i havent had hangover since you left
xxxxxxxx

  becca rennie Jan 1, 2010 4:47 AM

About countryboy

My Favourite Hat

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.