Existing Member?

Our Travels- World tour A Little trip around the world !! yes it really is happening

Mexico Continued - Palenque

MEXICO | Wednesday, 1 October 2008 | Views [367]

It took the most horrendous bus drive to get here, we had to get the night bus from Oaxaca to Saint Christabo, which took 11.5 hours and I was sick or felt sick for the entire journey and you don´t get to stop.  It was awful.  We get into Saint Christabo at 7.30am and have to wait until 11.20am to get our next bus to Palenque, which is again awful.  Again mountainous so it is like a rollercoaster for the entire 6 hours just like the night before.  Both Colin and I spend a very green 24hrs.

Palenque town is a little blip in the jungle, just here because of the ruins.  We stay here for the night nothing much to do, but the hostel is clean and it has HOT water, amazing.  Also a surprise fantastic internet cafe, in the middle of the jungle, in a tiny town, the best computers we have seen for the entire trip.

Next day we head out to the jungle as it is the 2nd and my birthday is the 3rd we decide to spend the night in a posh resort, but when we get there it is deserted, we feel like the only guests.  We stay in these little bugalows, surrounded by jungle.  It is all a bit odd, dark and damp.  A plus we saw leaf cutter ants filing along the path, a great sight.  We watched the sides of the pool being cleaned and the gung from the sides was mopped directly into the pool, put us of swimming for some reason, they where also the oddest looking pools I have ever seen, werid.

We then spent the 3rd, my birthday, in the ruins, these are fabulous, they are not very touristy and we spent a lot of the time completely by ourselves.  Unfortunately you can no longer climb the three big temples that are iconic with these ruins, but we where able to go up and down loads of the other sections of ruins.  Also there is a path at the side of the ruins that takes you into the Mexician jungle we walked along this listening to the black howler monkies and going off path to see the unrestored ruins and water falls and paddling in the streams, which again we spent the majority of this time by ourseleves seeing virtually no other visitors, although we did see a little wild pig.  This is was fantastic the ruins are fabulous, the path incredible and the waterfalls beautiful, definately the best ruins in Mexico.

We then walked back to hotels an hours walk on a hardly used road in the Mexican jungle, it was a fab walk listening to the monkeys, seeing loads of butterflies, also able to see local houses etc.

Unwilling to stay another night at the resort we went back to the town and crashed there until leaving early the next day.

 

 

Travel Answers about Mexico

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.