Existing Member?

Clare's adventures

Slot canyons and rattlesnakes in Escalante

USA | Friday, 6 June 2014 | Views [409]

Beautiful canyon light

Beautiful canyon light

So, have you watched the film 127 hours? If so, you will have heard about slot canyons, which are narrow passageways carved through the rock by rivers. (We won't mention cutting tendons, yuk!) 

The walls on either side of a slot canyon are huge cliffs and the space between them is often only enough to squeeze through. The cliff walls are smooth and shaped by the water and, in this part of the country are red and orange in the light with swirls and stripes and other lovely designs.

Having equipped ourselves with a Swiss Army knife in case any amputation was required ( it wasn't), we went to explore the Peekaboo and Spooky slot canyons, which require a bit of climbing, scrambling and quite a lot of squeezing but don't need any specialist kit. We even came across a rattlesnake sheltering out of the heat which added to the adrenalin factor.  Beats a day at the office but only I guess if you are peculiar enough to love things like this (as you know, we both do!)

Tags: canyoning, escalante

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.