Existing Member?

Clare's adventures

A Reet Grand Canyon

USA | Sunday, 25 May 2014 | Views [267]

Grand Canyon South Rim lookout

Grand Canyon South Rim lookout

It's big. It's very, very big. So huge you can't take in the scale. So deep and wide that it would take all day to just walk to the bottom. At first, it is astounding in its immensity. All you can do is stand on the edge ("The Rim") and gawp. And take photos, thousands of them! 

Water has carved down through the plateau, slicing through the layers laid down under an ancient sea like butter, revealing rock millions of years old in different layers in shades of red, orange, brown and yellow. You can only glimpse parts of the Colorado River way down in the bottom, a mile below the surface. Side canyons add to the complex patterns of the cliff formations. 

Check out this photo - those minuscule grains on the left hand side are people!

After a day taking in the views from above and another walking down into the canyon and back up on one of the dusty paths in the sweltering heat, it seems a bit sacrilegious to say but the initial awe wore off and it all started to look quite samey. It was time for this blasé couple to move on...

Tags: grand canyon

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.