Existing Member?

Clare's adventures

Walking the Tongariro Alpine Crossing

NEW ZEALAND | Tuesday, 14 January 2014 | Views [352]

Three lakes, Tongariro trek

Three lakes, Tongariro trek

Not for nothing is this said to be one of New Zealand's most spectacular Great Walks. The walk takes a full-on day to complete, rising up from the scrub past steaming fumeroles, active volcanoes, desert-like plains, brilliant blue and green lakes and has a back drop of mountains and in the distance Great Lake Taupo which is New Zealand's biggest fresh water lake. 

We had intended to do the longer three-day circuit and to stay in the mountain huts but when we got to the first night's refuge, the warden told us the weather would be too bad to continue in the morning as the gales would blow us off the ridge. As a result we walked on to the halfway point of the crossing and back in case that was our only chance to see the sights. The hut was full, the huts are basic and have dormitory beds (bring your own sleeping bag) and a kitchen where you can cook your own food. We met some friendly people and played cards most of the evening.

In the morning the wind had got up and we looked out to sideways rain- never a good sight when you are in the mountains. We headed off the hill and to a warm hostel.

The day after the weather was clear but breezy so we went back and did the second half of the crossing, which is the most scenic part. We passed a mountain refuge which had been closed as the nearby volcano had erupted in 2012 and boulders had crashed through its roof. There were literally thousands of people doing the walk that day but we managed to be on our own all morning having set off from the finishing point.

if you like trekking, this is a definite one to add to your list.

Tags: trekking

 
 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.