Existing Member?

Clare's adventures

WOOFFing at Oruawharo - tractors and earthquakes

NEW ZEALAND | Sunday, 26 January 2014 | Views [409]

Clare goes WOOFFing!

Clare goes WOOFFing!

WOOFFing -world-wide opportunities  on organic farms - is a fab way of really getting to know a little bit more about a country's culture than you would otherwise experience as a tourist. WOOFFers do voluntary work for hosts in return for food and accommodation and at the same time learn more about the farming life and meet good people. We chose to WOOFF at a historic homestead in the middle of cattle and sheep countryside in the North Island about 40 miles south of Napier.

 The owners of Oruawharo are restoring one of the oldest wooden buildings in New Zealand and we have been helping out. At this place, they usually only take a couple of WOOFFers at a time but we did meet some Germans when we first arrived who were working their way round this way- a cheap way to travel. We have been mainly working in the garden, cutting hedges, planting, weeding, etc. in return we have been treated to some fabulous food including cake every day - heaven!- sausages, eggs, salad all grown here.

Highlights (apart from the cake) have been driving the tractor and experiencing an earthquake which was 6.3 at its epicentre some 70 miles away. I was on the tractor at the time, the ground started shaking - it was quite a fierce shake.  Fortunately there was no damage to the house although in 1931 the town of Napier was completely destroyed by a similar earthquake. It was rebuilt and now is known as the Art Deco capital as the buildings have been kept in the style of that time.

They also make a lot of very tasty wine round here and the owners have treated us to some really special wines including some of the best Sauvignon Blanc I have ever drank. We are here a couple more days then head off to the South Island, us and a few extra pounds we have both put on.

Thanks for reading, still having a brill time:)

Tags: wwooffing

 
 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.