Existing Member?

One Foot Off the Merry-Go-Round

What Day Is It?

THAILAND | Saturday, 8 October 2011 | Views [430]

Today is Saturday and we just realized it. Apparently jet lag is still with us a bit because we were both convinced until about 5 minutes ago that it was Friday. Just for our reference and for yours… today is Saturday, October 8… it’s 10:07 a.m.

Okay now that we have established the date and time, let me just say that we are loving Bangkok. We spent the day yesterday roaming around, hanging out and drinking a few beers on Kao San Road (“backpacker mecca”), shopping, people watching, etc. Last night we both got massages! I got an herb massage with hot compressions. The massage was life changing and the hot compressions were wonderfully painful. They basically take these scolding balled up rags and pound your entire body with them. I’m slightly sore today, but really do feel great! Travis got a foot and Thai massage… both of our treatments lasted two hours and cost 740 baht… which is about $24. Lex, at our hotel, set up the appointments for us… she has been amazing! She gives us tips on where to go, where NOT to go and what to see/do, how much things should actually cost (i.e.; transportation costs so we don’t get jipped), etc. A very sweet and funny lady.

Today it is raining… we are staying inside reading, writing (obviously) and just laying low. Tonight is a big night. We are going to Lumpini Boxing Stadium to watch a Thai boxing match. We will write more about that afterwards… but we will be sitting ringside and will also get a picture with the winner… oh the life of a tourist (we’re okay with it!) Afterwards, we are planning to go to the night market… a huge outdoor market opened until midnight.

The people in this country are so wonderful… everyone smiles and waves at you… we’ve also gotten a few thumbs up. Mopeds seem to be a popular mode of transportation. Yesterday we saw a mother and her infant riding a moped… the kid was holding on tight in between the handle bars with its legs stretched out straight and feet braced against the bike… awesome! That’s not the first time I’ve seen that since we’ve been here. Try doing that in America and you’d probably get arrested. Crossing the streets is a bit tricky… but gets your blood pumping. I have found you just have to be patient and then when the time comes, move quickly and don’t second guess yourself!

Our goal today is to find some pho (noodle/beef soup)… that’s it—our only goal. Life is rough. ;)

Much Love!

T & C

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.