Existing Member?

2011 The Nightingale's Oddessy Our exchange year in Canada.

Return to Camp Wanakita

CANADA | Thursday, 22 September 2011 | Views [276]

Autumn 2011 Return to Wanakita

Well the school holidays are over and life has returned to normal in the Nightingale household. We are now trying to pack in as many experiences as we now can before the end of the year. With that in mind we headed back up north of Toronto to Camp Wanakita.

Friday 17th:

Michelle had a pupil free day on the Friday, so to avoid Friday afternoon Toronto traffic I picked the kids up early and grabbed Chelle from school. We also had Laureen, Calum and Tiahn with us so the car was packed. Unfortunately like all good plans this one didn’t pan out, there’s just no way to beat the traffic in Toronto, it makes Sydney’s traffic look like a Sunday afternoon drive.

We finally made it to Wanakita around 7:00 Pm, so it was still light and we got to see evidence of the trees starting to change their colours. After settling into our cabins it was time to catch up with the rest of the CLEE crowd and reminisce about our adventures over the summer. Of course this was done over a few ales around a roaring campfire, for even though it is still supposed to be summer the temperatures are starting to fall.

Saturday 18th:

Up early and for the hardy ones amongst us it was down to the Lake for a “Polar Bear Dip”. This is one of those activities that must be done while in Canada, it’s basically taking an early morning dip in a lake, “nothing unusual about that?” When the water temperature is -1 it changes things a bit. Ryan and Calum were keen and a few of the others were up to the challenge, while the rest of us cheered them on (I did briefly entertain the idea the night before while under the influence of alcohol, but sobered up when I got out of bed). The early morning sun on the lake combined with the mist giving me the opportunity to put to the test the lessons I had learned at a photography course I attended a week earlier.

After those that had had a dip regained some feeling in their extremities we all trudged up to breakfast and a briefing of the day’s events from our facilitators, tow of whom turned out to Australian and who were making their way across the country working at camps.

First activity for most was the Low Ropes course, the kids having a ball balancing on and falling off the ropes and the tyres. After the low ropes we split up and Michelle and Ryan went off to do the High Ropes while Natasha and I went off to archery. I’m proud to say that although most other parts off me are breaking down my eyesight is still good and my aim is good, I managed good close groupings each time I shot. Natasha also did well with a little coaching managing to get two bullseyes. Ryan mean time managed to conquer the vertical playground twice. No mean feat as it takes a lot out of your arms and legs.

Lunch, and for Michelle and Ryan it was Voyageur canoeing (canoeing in a large group) on the lake. Tash and I headed off to the climbing wall. Natasha found this wall a lot more daunting than others she had done as the hand and foot holds were further apart and some of them tended to spin when you gripped them, but all the same she made it ¾ of the way up which made it the furthest distance she has climbed up till now. I was very proud of her effort as I was of Ryan’s.  Tash and I both then headed down to the lake where Ryan and Calum jumped in kayaks, so just to be on the safe side I followed them and Chelle and Tash set off together in a canoe, they ended up becoming a rescue boat as one of the young girls tipped her kayak and need to be fished out of the water. Late Saturday afternoon and we were free to do as we wished so the kids went off to play and I wondered around taking photos of the Fall colours.

Saturday evening was a sing song around a camp fire by the lake, then for those that wished a nature hike. The rest of us gathered back at our cabins where we stoked up our own campfire and relaxed with a few drinks. After a large percentage of the group had fallen into bed those of us that were left got visited by a very inquisitive raccoon, so I managed to get my first up close photos of one in the wild, they are very cute and highly intelligent, but apparently can also get very nasty.

Sunday 19th:

The chance to sleep in a bit longer this morning before breakfast, (once again the food at Wanakita has been great). The choices for activities for the morning session being left up to the group, the kids decided on the Low Ropes to start and the Chelle and Ryan were back at the Lake Kayaking, while Natasha wanted to try her hand at the High Ropes. Tash again did well; she picked her target she wanted to reach and with a bit of effort achieved it. One thing she doesn’t lack is confidence when it comes to heights. Out on the lake Ryan learned how to roll a kayak not sure if this was on purpose or by accident lol. The mornings activities and lunch over with it was once again goodbyes and making plans to catch up at least one more time before everyone heads their different ways at the end of the year, then back in the car for the three hour journey back to Burlington.

One thing I must make mention of is how quickly the colours start to change in Canada, even over the space of three days it was very noticeable. We have a long weekend coming up in a couple of weeks so we hope to get back up into the same area, which should be a carpet of Autumn colours at that time, it will also be our last chance to see an elusive Moose.

 

 

About cheken


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.