Existing Member?

2011 The Nightingale's Oddessy Our exchange year in Canada.

Our Cruise Vancouver to Anchorage

CANADA | Wednesday, 14 September 2011 | Views [274]

The Cruise; Radiance of the Seas Day one

 

Day One:  On Board

Ok, we are finally up to the last stretch of the summer holidays; our cruise from Vancouver to Anchorage Alaska and the three day ground tour.

Before I launch into this description of our adventures, here’s a disclaimer. Owing to my general reluctance to go cruising and any perceived bias it may cause, Chelle was going to author this part, but unfortunately a little thing called work has got in the way. So it’s me again.

Before I get a chorus of “I told you so’s, and I knew you would like it” let me state I am still not entirely sold on the concept of cruising. I accept the advantages, such as being able to unpack your bags and the great food served up etc, etc. But until someone comes up with a cruise liner that can fly from place to place I’m not convinced. I don’t have the time to go puttering from port to port; especially on something that induces motion sickness. I’m a busy man; lots to see and do, I haven’t got the time to sit around on a boat and do nothing. I can do that at home!!  Lol.

Anyway enough waffle. Friday the Nineteenth of August at 12:00 on the dot, we boarded the Radiance of the Seas at Canada Place in downtown Vancouver. Once aboard we headed off to our stateroom; a small box with a balcony on deck ten. We were literally only four cabins back from the bridge; we could and did wave to the crew as they went about their business (how do the bridge crew have time to wave to passengers?) After dropping our bags off, we headed to the pool deck to find Helen (who had a cabin on deck three). For the early birds on board a welcome aboard was happening around the pool, this consisted of some of the crew getting up and dancing and inviting passengers up to have a go also. Guess who was one of the first up on stage??? Yep, my lovely wife. Michelle was up there shaking her booty and doing the Macarana, much to the embarrassment of her daughter. Leaving the dance floor we then went and had the first of many meals at the Windjammer restaurant. Ryan’s eyes lit up when he realised it was an ‘all you could eat buffet’.

After lunch it was back to the pool so the kids could have a swim and Chelle and I had Pina Coladas, which cost us another ten years on the mortgage. From the pool, we then took the kids to check out Adventure Ocean, the place they would be spending most of their waking hours while aboard, then up a deck to the climbing wall, where the kids and I had a climb. After that I left the kids with Mum and went off to explore the ship.  This took me less than half an hour. So that was it!  We had done it all before leaving port. It was time to get off. That was money well spent Lol. (Bah Humbug!!! Ken did enjoy the experience, but is very reluctant to admit it due to the obligatory “I told u so, etc etc!!!)

Four in the afternoon we set sail from Vancouver and made our way up through the channel between Victoria Island and the mainland. Unfortunately we didn’t get to see a lot as the weather set in. Up until we left we had had beautiful weather, now it started to turn grey and overcast and would remain this way until we reached Anchorage (typical).

Next up, dinner in the main dining room! The ship has one main dining room that is paid for as part of the cruise and a number of specialty restaurants that are an added cost. I wouldn’t have minded trying the others out, but honestly they would have to have been really good to beat what was on offer in the main one. After dinner the kids went off for their first night at Adventure Ocean and Chelle, Helen and I went off and had drinks in one of the bars.

Day Two; Cruising and Ryan’s Birthday

Ryan had said the night before he didn’t want a fuss for his birthday so we let him and Tash head off to Adventure Ocean.  While he was out however, we had our state room attendant decorate the room, when he came back later he was not as amused as we’d hoped, but later warmed to the idea (especially as the colours happened to also be those of Parramatta Eels.

Chelle and Helen went off to a 90 min seminar that they thought was going to be about our ports of call along the way and which turned out to be more about the shopping. Both agreed it was a waste of time and Chelle was especially vexed as she could have been off doing a Salsa class. While this was going on I went off to  play trivia (very badly) and listen to a talk on the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.

Midday we picked the kids up and had lunch, then they were off again. The first day of the cruise being at sea, we were going to all dress up and go to the formal dinner in the main dining room that night, until that is we realised I had brought a suit and tie but hadn’t packed a shirt. So then we planned to take Ryan out to the Italian Restaurant but couldn’t get a booking. This turned out just as well because Natasha was feeling under the weather. So while Chelle, Ryan and Helen went off for dinner at the buffet, Tash and I stayed in the cabin. After a nap, Tash felt well enough to have a feed and go back to kids club. Not much of a celebration for Ryan, but he didn’t seem to mind as he had lots of things to do.

While the kids were enjoying themselves and most people were at dinner, the three of us decided to take advantage of the fact there was no one around and went for a relaxing dip in the spa and pool in the solarium. When we got back the kids had signed themselves out of kids club and returned to the cabin. There are some advantages to cruising.

Day Three; Ketchikan

Ketichikan: the salmon capital of the world. The ship docked about seven so we were up, had an early breakfast and made our way ashore. As we docked we also noticed we weren’t the first ones there, there were at least another four ships already alongside, when you consider each ship probably had more than 1500 passengers aboard it made for a very congested town. Once you step off the gangplank the first thing that confronts you is an endless array of tour booths offering shore excursions. Skirting these we made our way into the town, where we hit the second thing to confront you; rows of jewellery stores. As part of their shopping seminar the day before, the girls got conned into buying a travel wallet that was supposed to have heaps of free bargains at these stores. So still being annoyed at having wasted the time and money going to the lecture the girls determined to at least get what they could, but once again it was another con, the intention being to get you in and then give you the hard sell. A word on the towns of Alaska and jewellery stores; because of the climate and the isolation most of the towns on the coast are very seasonal, having only a small all year round population, but when the cruising season opens the population quadruples and most of those people are employed either in tourism or the jewellery stores, which we found are owned by the cruise lines, they ship their people from region to region depending on the season. I mean how can one store support a staff of over forty people? Any way while the girls were looking around I got conned into buying a Swiss watch (or rather two watches, his and hers) which in the end turned out to be not too bad  a deal when the price of similar watches back home and the exchange rate was taken into account (at least that’s what I keep telling myself).

Another lesson learned we had used up most of the morning walking around the shops; time that could have been better spent seeing the sights. Thankfully we left the kids aboard. Come lunch time, Chelle headed back aboard to grab the kids and take them to lunch, while Helen and I booked ourselves on a tour of the town and a wildlife excursion hoping to see some bears. The weather unfortunately was heavy overcast with frequent downpours.  We first headed outside of town to a creek where the salmon were spawning and bear frequent, but not today. We did however see the first of many Bald Eagles we would see on our travels and on the way out and back we got to wave to Clint Eastwood (or at least his boat) Apparently he makes the trip every year for the fishing. Nice boat with a nice helicopter on deck. After the fruitless bear watching we went to the Local Native village to view the largest collection of standing Totem Poles in the world. The rain at this time was bucketing down so we didn’t get to stay long or get any great pictures, on the return into town we were supposed to have been dropped off in the historic district and make our way back but if we had done that we would have been soaked to the skin, so we headed straight back to the ship.

While Helen and I had been off on our travels Chelle went in the other direction looking for a mall to get Ryan a shirt that would fit him for dinner. Then she returned to the ship to make use of the gym. Around four in the afternoon, we cast off and made our way up the Inside Passage to our next destination.

Day Four: Icy Strait Point

Icy Strait Point is an old fishing village that has been revived by Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines and is exclusive to them. Each of the lines seems to have a similar thing, so they can charge exorbitant prices to their captive audience for any land tours. At this time it doesn’t have a dock large enough to allow the ship to moor, so getting ashore is through the use of tenders. Thankfully the journey is only a couple of minutes so not much time is wasted. We had decided that today the kids would spend some time ashore with us much to their displeasure. So off the boat and ashore to see what was available; Helen booked herself on another bear watching tour hoping that this time she might see some and so off she went, while the kids, Chelle and I went off walking to the nearest town, we never made it, turning back just on the out skirts so we could be back in time to take a guided nature hike instead. Unless you go on an organised excursion there isn’t really a lot to do at Icy Strait. The nature tour was pretty good but that was it. So once that was over we headed back aboard so the kids could go off and do their own thing and Chelle and I went off to different activities. Helen met us back on board after having a successful day bear watching. Again in the evening we tried out a couple of the bars and I believe that night was Disco night at kids club.

Day Five: Juneau

Arriving in Juneau the capital of Alaska, along with four other ships the weather hadn’t picked up any. Juneau is a small city on an island completely surrounded by mountains, there are no highways connecting it to the rest of the country, to get there you have to come either by plane or the Maritime Highway, a ferry that plies the Inside Passage. I had wanted to go on the cable car that goes from the dock up to Mount Robert which overlooks the harbour but there wasn’t much point paying for a ride up into the fog. So instead we booked a trip out to Mendenhall Glacier, a large Glacier just outside of town.

Finally at the Glacier we got to see our first Black Bear up close! This one was fishing next to the boardwalk that goes over a nearby stream.  From the trail of half eaten salmon, he wasn’t doing to badly either.  Mind you, I don’t know how he could ignore all the Japanese and Koreans chattering away and screaming at him at full volume (they might have been a tastier meal??) In a tree not too far away, the girls also spotted a bear cub.

The Glacier itself was spectacular and worth the trip out to see. Leaving the Glacier we then went back into downtown Juneau or the tourist part of Juneau. I don’t think the locals would go near it. The girls took the kids back on board for lunch and then packed them off to kids club, while I went out on an errand and bought a shirt.

Our last tour for the day could only be described as creepy.  We had booked this as an addition to the Mendanhall Glacier and it was supposed to be a sightseeing tour of the city. It looked bad when our guide turned up looking like the bikey from the village people.  We were his only passengers and when he found out we were Australian and that my sister was single, it got really weird.  Chelle and I disappeared off his radar and the tour became mostly about him and whether he could come to Tasmania and get a wife. Apparently he already had three native wives!! We drove around Juneau but didn’t get much of a commentary and he didn’t seem to know what to do with us or show us, so we saw a stream with some salmon and a hatchery and that was about it. Later in the tour when the talk came around to the master race and the final solution (no kidding) we were just anxious to end it and get out of the van!   

That night we went off and watched a show in the theatre, the only one we caught the whole trip. It was titled The Piano Men and featured the music of Elton John, Billy Joel and Stevie Wonder among others; it was a really entertaining and professional show. Luckily we caught the first session as the second session was hijacked by Pirates!! Tonight was Pirate night at kids club, so the kids got all dressed up in make-up and made bandanas and paraded through the ship singing pirate shanties at the tops of their lungs, before finally winding up on stage in the theatre prior to the second show. Of course one little performer we know was lapping up the spot light.

Day Six: Skagway

Skagway was the only shore destination where we had booked ahead for a tour. Skagway is associated with gold and the US and Canadian goldrush and is the terminus for the White Pass and Yukon railway which heads up to the goldfields. Michelle has been teaching Canadian history this year and learnt about the Klondike and  taught gold as a unit of Australian history, so she really wanted to see the area. Ryan would miss out on a trip to the Bathurst goldfields back home this year and Chelle really wanted the kids to experience gold fever. So having booked a trip on the train, followed by gold panning, we headed off into Skagway.  Chelle really had been looking forward to this trip as the scenery looked stunning in the brochures, with deep gores and towering waterfall, but once again the weather sought to spoil our plans. The gorges were shrouded in fog and the waterfalls were hidden and when we finally made it up into the Yukon across the border it was blowing a gale and everyone was frozen. Anyway, the journey back was by bus and the fog had lifted a little so we did see a little of the scenery in the end. Back in Skagway, we then went off to do some gold panning, which the kids found fun as they found a few specks of gold in their first pan which they got to keep. Funny how their patience disappeared when subsequent pans turned up nothing!  We did tell them that the only people who made it rich on the goldfields were the ones who supplied all the equipment !!! .

After the gold panning we then took a tour around Skagway which took less than ten minutes, as it’s only a town of a couple of hundred people with a main street that stretches eight blocks and that’s it outside of tourist season -it doesn’t even have it own doctor. There are more passengers on one cruise ship than people in the town and the day we were there, there were four ships in.

Back aboard ship dinner that night was formal, so we made a vow to go to this as Chelle and Helen had packed dresses that they wanted to get some wear out of.  This however left Natasha in somewhat of a dilemma as this same night was also a pyjama party and we told the kids they could stay with their new friends and go to dinner. But Tash also wanted to get dressed up in the pretty dress she had brought along for the occasion so what was she to do? The problem was solved by her mother dressing her up so she could go to dinner ( she was the best dressed kid at dinner with Adventure Ocean that night) then picking her up afterwards racing her back to the cabin and changing Tash into PJ’s and taking her back up. This meant that Michelle, Helen and I had a nice relaxing meal without kids.

 

Day Seven: Hubbard Glacier and cruising

Our last day aboard ship and a day spent cruising. We woke up in the morning to the ship nestling in as close as possible to Hubbard Glacier. Hubbard is one of the most active glaciers in the world with bits of it calving off every few minutes. As the approach to the glacier was fairly free from pack ice the Captain got us in close enough that you could hear the crack as a sheet of ice peeled away from the face of the glacier. We spent a couple of hours watching this in which time I saw at least three or four large pieces come away. Because we were a long way north in Alaska and it was still overcast the temperature was cold, the coldest we had felt in a couple of months everyone was out on deck rugged up in their warmest clothes and the crew were out brewing up mugs of hot chocolate and coffee. Leaving Hubbard, the ship headed out into open water to make its way to Seward, with a warning from the Captain to expect heavy seas!! In the morning we had the kids with us so we went and played a trivia game with questions based on animated movies in which we came a creditable second.  Ryan and I played chess, Chelle went off and did a dance class, Helen learned to make jewellery and Tash was off playing with her friends. After lunch, the seas started to pick up and it became evident that there were less and less people visible around the ship. In the afternoon the kids had their last play at kids club, but the motion of the seas was starting to get to Natasha so she went off with Aunty Helen to have a lie down while Chelle and I started to get the bags packed so we could put them outside our door that evening. Ryan and I later went and had a game of table tennis which was amusing and hard trying to play on a table that kept rolling through ninety degrees. In the evening I braved the weather on deck and went and got some photos of the pool where some kids were trying to surf the waves. No kidding the water moving from side to side was that big.

So ended our last day aboard ship, not a great ending, ships would be very pleasant places if they didn’t have to put to see. As for cruising I would recommend it to anyone who has kids and wants the hassle taken out of their vacation. Will I do another one? Probably, if Michelle and the kids get their way, it will just depend on the location. One last word; the staff on board were fantastic, they were all very pleasant, we had a great State room attendant who couldn’t do enough for the kids and hopefully may contact us next year when the Radiance of the Sea gets to Sydney. The dining room staff were always very attentive and aware of the kids allergies, one of our waiters couldn’t wait to show the kids magic tricks each time we saw him. Before we booked the cruise I had done some research to find out which would be best for the kids and Royal Caribbean didn’t disappoint.

 

 

About cheken


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.