Existing Member?

2011 The Nightingale's Oddessy Our exchange year in Canada.

The Cruise: Days One and Two, Vancouver

CANADA | Friday, 9 September 2011 | Views [227]


The Cruise

 

Day One:  Vancouver

For me Vancouver turned out to be a bit of a disappointment. Don’t get me wrong it is a pretty city being surrounded by mountains and a beautiful harbour, but it’s not all that exciting and I fail to see how it earned its reputation as the most liveable city in the world.

Anyway day one we headed downtown and checked out Canada Place where we would be leaving from in a couple of days to start our cruise. We then split up again Helen heading off to do some more shopping while the rest of us walked along the harbour looking for somewhere we could hire bikes from. One thing Vancouver does have going for it is Stanley Park the largest urban park in Canada. So we hired bikes and rode around the 12 kilometre bike track that goes around its perimeter, a very pleasant ride it was too.

After dropping off the bikes we then walked through Gastown the historic downtown area of the city before heading back up to the hotel.

Day Two: Capilano Gorge

Back down town we jumped on a bus that took us across to Capilano Gorge a nature park across the harbour in West Vancouver. The gorge is spanned by a long suspension bridge that neither Michelle nor Natasha wanted to do. So they jumped back on the bus and went back across to the city to do some shopping and have a walk around while Helen, Ryan and I explored the gorge and the surrounds. As well as the bridge, there is also a tree top walk and a suspended walkway that goes out from the cliff face over the gorge and which has a glass floor. Unfortunately the glass has a chequerboard pattern in it which rather defeats the purpose and doesn’t allow for good photos. Leaving the gorge we headed back across the harbour and took Helen through Gastown and then walked back up to our hotel past the stadium where the Canucks played the Stanley Cup and where the riots broke out after they lost. So at least we can say we visited both the stadiums where the Stanley Cup was played this year, Boston and Vancouver. Ryan and I had both bought Boston Bruins T-shirts while in Boston and thought it a good idea not to be seen wearing them around Vancouver.

Getting back to our hotel we met up with the girls and made one last foray out to get dinner and there ended our stay in Vancouver, as I said not as exciting as we may have expected but it was the gateway to our next big adventure.

About cheken


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.