Existing Member?

2011 The Nightingale's Oddessy Our exchange year in Canada.

Day Thirteen Williams to Las Vegas

CANADA | Friday, 9 September 2011 | Views [170]

The USA Road Trip

 

Day 13 Williams to Las Vegas

Before leaving Williams there was one last thing to see. “Bearazonia” a drive through wildlife refuge as you guessed it full of Black Bears. The girls weren’t too interested in seeing this so they went off to investigate the shops on Route 66 while Ryan and went off to photograph bears. Along with bears the refuge has a large number of other native animals, such as bison, wild cats, etc, but it was the bears we had come to see and we weren’t disappointed. Sitting in your car watching a large bear amble past is amazing. I even got to watch a bear make his way up and down what I thought was quite a flimsy tree, but didn’t seem to pose a problem for him. For such large animals it is surprising how agile they are.

Saying goodbye to Williams we once again headed off into the Desert and up to Nevada. Early afternoon we arrived at one of the wonders of the Industrial Age; The Hoover Dam very impressive it is too, standing over 200 metres tall and 300 metres wide and at the head of a reservoir 180 Km long. I visited the dam twenty years ago and can remember the traffic jams as all traffic had to make its way across the two lane road on top of the dam wall. Now it has been diverted across the equally impressive Memorial Bridge, it is hard to imagine such a heavy flow of traffic making its way down the narrow winding road and across the Dam but somehow it did.

The attached photos give some idea of the drought the American Southwest is going through as the dam is only at 40% capacity and the water level would normally be 10metres higher than were it is now!!! A lot of this drought has been caused by a lower than expected snow melt in this area of the States. I guess having to supply the irrigation water and power for Southern California and Las Vegas doesn’t help.

After the Hoover Dam is was then a quick 45 min drive into Las Vegas arriving in time to catch the tail end of another rain storm. Before arriving in Vegas Chelle and I were deliberately vague with the kids on what our accommodation would be like so as not to spoil the surprise and I think they were surprised when we drove up to the Excalibur Casino. For those that haven’t heard of it the Excalibur is a rough approximation of a Castle from the outside and it carries this theme right throughout. So naturally the kids were excited about staying in a Castle. Also because my sister wasn’t arriving till the next day and because we had booked two adjoin rooms they got to have their own room and own beds for a night. No more complaining about Natasha hogging the bed.

Once we had settled ourselves in it was time to explore and of course the first place the kids wanted to see was the pool or pools, as this place has four of them including one with a water slide. The Excalibur is one of the more family friendly casinos but as with the rest to get anywhere within the place you have to go across the gaming floors, which are crowded and filled with smoke, even to go from our room to the pools we had to navigate this area. This was the only downside, we had previously been a bit anxious about the place as some of the on-line reviews weren’t real good, but I wouldn’t hesitate in recommending it. One of the great things about the place is the Buffet, only costing around $30 per person with the ability to be able to visit as many times as you like during the day, very cost effective when one has a teenage son. The temperature being over 100 degrees the rest of the afternoon was spent around the pool. Mum and Dad even taking the opportunity to have a quiet drink beside the pool.

In the evening after dinner we explored the casino some more, checking out some of the shops and finding the gaming arcade. Then we went next door and visited the neighbours, these being the Luxor and New York New York. The Luxor of course is Egyptian themed and shaped like the pyramids, which Tash thought was very cool as she likes that sort of thing and New York New York is of coursed based on the streets of New York, even down to having a quarter size Statue of Liberty and Brooklyn Bridge and a roller coaster on top of the building. After the evening tour it was back to the room to get some sleep before the next big day and the arrival of the kids Aunt, my sister, Helen.

About cheken


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.