Existing Member?

2011 The Nightingale's Oddessy Our exchange year in Canada.

Day Eleven and Twelve. Williams and the Grand Canyon

CANADA | Friday, 9 September 2011 | Views [150]

The USA Road Trip

 

Day 11 Tucson to Williams and the Grand Canyon

Once again with heavy hearts we left our hosts and headed North into the Sonora Desert. Actually we bade farewell to Rich the night before as he had to fly out overseas early the same day we left. Hopefully we will be able to return the hospitality to Rich and Daisy the next time they visit Aus.

 

As we made our way North towards Phoenix the temperature rapidly started to rise toward 110 degrees Fahrenheit or above 40 degrees Celsius and the desert once again underwent a transformation from large Saguaro Cacti to barren rocks and low lying scrub, but never once was it boring, there being beautiful vistas at every turn. From Phoenix we head to Flagstaff and the town of Williams, Flagstaff possibly being the location of our investment property Lol.

We arrived in Williams late afternoon and upon first sight it looked to be a bit dilapidated and run down our only reason for choosing to stay there was because it offered the cheapest accommodation close to the Grand Canyon, but looks can be deceiving, Williams proved itself to be a fascinating town with good food and entertainment. To start with the main street is a part of Route 66 so a lot of the shops and dinners reflect that theme. Williams is also the terminus for the Grand Canyon railroad so you can get the train to the Canyon if your budget stretches that far (ours didn’t) another attraction in town is the evening cowboy show that takes over the streets, again a lot of fun. The final thing Williams has going for it is that it has a restaurant that serves 48 different varieties of pie for desert and I’m not talking wafer thin slices but ¼ pie. Naturally we had to go back the second night just to try again.

Day 12 The Grand Canyon

An early start, breakfast and watch the train to the Grand Canyon, leave complete with a send off from the local cowboys. The same cowboys that performed the night before and that would board and rob the train later in the day Lol. We then boarded our mechanical horse named Toyota Camry and made our way to one of the natural wonders of the world. Words just don’t do justice to the first view of the Canyon, it is truly spectacular. I only hope my photos captured the landscape adequately. The Canyon should be a destination on everyone’s Bucket List.

As usual the Nightingales set out on foot to pack in as much as possible; walking along the Southern Rim of the Canyon, the temperature was over 100 degrees, but there was some very dark clouds heading our way. Luckily for us we made it to the Grand Canyon village just before it hit and we got to see the spectacular sight of lightning crashing over the landscape along with lashing rain. However within a half hour of the storm passing it was hard to believe it had rained at all and the temp climbed back above 100.

After a visit to the local IMAX and experiencing the Canyon on the big screen we then headed back to Williams and caught the Cowboy show once again. The kids befriended of one of the Cowboys, who turned out to be ex US Navy and who had made port visits in Australia years ago, visiting such highlights as Geraldton, Albury, Whyalla and of course Hobart. During the show he same Cowboy came looking for a girlfriend and Chelle happened to be the lucky girl, so she was dragged out centre stage in front of the crowd. Not like Michelle to be in the thick of thingsJ

 

 

About cheken


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.