Existing Member?

2011 The Nightingale's Oddessy Our exchange year in Canada.

Day 6 Bay of Fundy 7th July 2011

CANADA | Friday, 8 July 2011 | Views [251]


The Grand Canadian/ American Adventure

 

Day Six The Bay of Fundy

We’re on the road again. This morning we visited the Reversing Falls in Saint John. This is the point where the Atlantic Ocean meets the 450 mile long Saint John river, and twice a day a waterfall effect is created as the tide either moves in or out of the mouth of the river. The flow over the waterfall changes direction depending on what tide it is. We got there at low tide as the water was rushing downstream and created whirlpools where it hit the Atlantic. To give you an idea of the amount of water that flows into the river from the ocean at high tide, the fresh water is pushed back up the river 60 miles. It’s certainly a spectacular sight, one which set us up for later in the day.

Leaving Saint John we took the Coastal route up along the Bay of Fundy. Travelling through Fundy National Park, we kept an eye out for moose as they are plentiful in this area. Unfortunately we didn’t see a single one. But the animal we did see more than made up for it. We saw our very first black bear as he crossed the road a few hundred metres in front of us. Unfortunately by the time we reached the spot where we had seen him, he was off in the bush, however we did hear him growling.

With that bit of excitement over we then hit the cost and saw the most amazing fog bank roll in. Further down the coast we stopped to take in the view from the tops of the cliffs at a restored light house but of course the fog put an end to that. Once again, the scenery and villages along the coast were very similar to what we have already seen driving through Maine, that doesn’t mean we have got bored of it though.

Mid afternoon we hit our other designated highlight for the day, Hopewell Rocks. Just as we were heading down to the rocks, we ran into the Dickson family who were just leaving. Geoff, Julie and their 6 kids are from Colo Heights and have been over here in Canada since July last year, they are about to return to Australia via Europe in seven days and were on their last road trip before they leave. After chatting to them for a while we walked down to the shore, where you can walk around on the ocean floor before the tide comes rushing back in. The special thing about the Bay of Fundy is, because of its shape it funnels the Atlantic Ocean and thereby creates some of the highest tides on the planet. The tides here rise as much as 11 metres, with the record being 17 metres. In the photos you will see an arch on one of the flower pot islands. Today’s tide was expected to lap at the underside of the arch. In the hour we were there the tide must have risen nearly two metres, you certainly wouldn’t want to get caught on one of the numerous exposed rocks that dot the coast.

From Hopewell Rocks we then pushed on through to Prince Edward Island, crossing over from the mainland to the island via the 13 kilometre long Confederation Bridge. We solved the problem of why we haven’t seen so many PEI number plates. It’s because the toll on the bridge is $43.00!!!! No one on PEI can afford to drive across to the mainland. Lol

Tonight we are in a farm stay in a city called Summerside, mind you after driving around looking for a place to eat, I think the place should be reclassified as a mid size town, a nice place but not very big.

About cheken


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.