Existing Member?

Travels

Day 41 (8-14): Chile Los Gaviotas

CHILE | Saturday, 14 August 2010 | Views [451]

- I am not the best hiker, but after today I had to redefine words like ´walk´, ´slow´... especially when it comes to hiking with locals.

- After picking me up from the cabin at 8 and crossing the lake on his boat, Aaron (my guide) asked me if I wanted to ´corre´(run) or ´camina rapido´. I said ´no, camina ... LENTO (slow)!´. He smiled. I thought we had an understanding.

- Apparently, I could not be more wrong. As he walked ´slowly´ uphill, I basically had to run just to catch up with him. Occasionally, he would turn to check if I was within sight and if so, he would trot on. A few times, he asked me if I wanted to lead and I declined. As much as I wish he would slow down, it was nice to have someone better, faster push you out of your comfort zone. On our uphill journey, the only 'official' stop we made was at the river when Aaron got a few sips of water (he didn´t bring any water with him. He did not forget - he just did not need it).

- As we walked higher up, the hill started to be covered with snow until it became a white blanket. Walking on snow made the uphill walk doubly hard. At times, the snow was a solid layer. But for most part, the snow was super crisp (reminded me of the crust of a creme brulee) and as you walked, your feet would sink anywhere between 1 inch to 1 ft into the snow and you needed the extra energy to put your legs up (only to find your next step sinking just as deep). Aaron was hiking with walking shoes and at a couple 'slopes', he slipped (since his shoes lacked traction). Those were the only times I could claim I walked faster than him.

- At around 1:30, we reached a little plateau. It would like at least another 2 hours to reach the top of the hill. Both agreed what we achieved thus far was good for the day we and made our way back. Had I not requested a quick stop for lunch (i.e. Oreos), he would have raced his way back in a contiinous run. It was almost 5 when I stepped back into the cabin, and the only things I consumed for the day were 1 piece of bread, 1 pack of Oreos, and 1 juice drink (which I saved up from a bus ride lunch-pack). I was exhausted and hungry.

- Edith was building a new house and a new cabin, and before dinner she invited me to join the gang to check out the status. Upon arrival at the new cabin, Juan pointed out a problem to Edith - the SM roof flashing was cut a little too short, and in times of rain, water would drip down in the gap between the roof edge and the PVC gutter suspended beyond the roof edgte (instead of being channeled into the gutter). Yikes - that is indeed a problem. The cabin was constructed as a self-contain unit for one party. It has a comfy common space with fireplace, one bedroom, a bathroom and a kitchen. As I walked around, the all-so-familiar smells of new wood, fresh paint hit me from all directions. I loved it and I missed it. We drove to the (CIP) new house shortly after, and Juan was eager to show me the materials used for different applications after learning I have a construction background. It was a great jobwalk, and I felt great understanding what they were talking about with one point of a finger despite not knowing the language.

- The dinner was perfect. Edith made chicken with stewed vegetables, broiled potatoes (in a special sauce), and chocolate pudding for dessert. Honestly I was not looking forward to the meal when I saw Edith prepared the food. I witnessed her dicing tons and tons of enemies (aka onions) and the thought of consuming all that onion was not enticing .... to the least. Surprising, I only sensed a faait trace of onion flavor and the food was so good. Edith also prepared a small dish of trout (the one Juan caught yesterday), just for me. It was so sweet of her.

- Not everyone has facebook, at least not Edith, Juan nor Ryan. Both Juan and Ryan do not have email accounts, so I would have to send the photos to Edith for sharing. There is limited internet connection at the cabin, which was fine by me, and it felt good to be away from the cyber world for a few days.

About cee_402


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Chile

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.